Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here! For XMAS I bought my wife a JVC KD-R300 cd player. Along with it I bought the recommended Metra install kit (95-3302). Since the cd-player is single din, and the metra kit is for either a double din OR 2 single dins..how can I use this kit? There is no pocket with it, and we don't have 2 cd players. What am I missing here?

CAR: 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS 4dr.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
you can either make a little peice to cover up the bottom part but that would be a p.i.t.a. or just take it back and get the correct single din one

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can either make a little peice to cover up the bottom part but that would be a p.i.t.a. or just take it back and get the correct single din one
Yep, went to Bestbuy to return the one I bought online and got the right one. Hopefully will be doing the install later tonight!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
make sure you have the correct wiring harness as well :)

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
you have to run your own power wire, fast and best way to do this is go to autozone and buy a "add-a-circuit" and plug it in you fuse box
or you buy the 'real' (but expensive) harness and do it without running your own power wire and save a bit of time and effort and everything will be done right and like stock.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes it is worth it to buy the real expensive harness. I did it the other way when I had my double din in and it killed my battery all the time. Thought it was because of the cold weather, but I put my stock radio in and it never died to this day

·
Registered
139 Posts
Go with the good harness. Makes the install easier. It also allows you to retain the warning chimes (with a switch to turn them off if you like.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
i bought a "real" harness and i still had to run a wire took like 30sec to do.
The integration harness (which is what we are refferring to as the real harness) does not require running any wires to install an aftermarket deck. It's just plug and play.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
all the expensive harness does is lets you keep all your warning signs and blinker sounds. thats it. i'm not sure about onstar but as far as everything else, thats it.

the cheaper one: you lose blinker, door ajar, trunk ajar, hood ajar, seat belt chimes, and blinker sounds. it doesnt kill your battery and it works 100% because that is the one i've got in my car and i've had it since Feb of 07. its a real harness and theres no need running extra wire it just doesnt have the integration module that lets you have those sounds. and also be ready to lose your audio steering wheel controls unless you buy the another separate module

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2008 Cobalt LT, 2dr Coupe (unamplified sound system). Today, I spliced two RCA converters in behind my stock head unit (one for the front and one for the rear), ran 2 RCA cables on the passenger side under the trim, and a 9-cable quick run on the driver side. I ran the RCAfrom my head unit to my amp, then the quick-run wires back to the speaker lines themselves. I followed the wiring diagrams for which is positive/negative for each speaker (and verified by looking at the speakers themselves). I ran my power cable with the inline fuse and grounded the amp (Alpine, 4 channel but can't remember the model) on a bolt directly behind the driver side back seat. I ran the remote wire into the wiper fuse in the box, put the trim back, and turned the key....voila. My car still runs, all DIC intact w/ chimes.... but no friggin sound. I think my power cable may not be making great contact (4ga) and I'll fix that in the AM. Any other ideas on why this may not be working? Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.