Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i recently ordered a header and cat-back for my 2.2 but im having a hard time picturing the entire set up from the sales pics alone.

It seems as if the kits are missing the downpipe?

Header > DP> cat-back correct?

The kit i purchased is basically this kit right here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-MUFFLER-TIP-CATBACK-CAT-BACK-MANIFOLD-HEADER-EXHAUST-05-07-CHEVY-COBALT-2-2L/190767181070?fits=Model:Cobalt&hash=item2c6a9c2d0e:g:PY8AAOSwCLNbNZ12&_sacat=0&_nkw=2.2+cobalt+exhaust&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Is that a full exhaust that deletes the cat or does it reuse the old DP/cat?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Based on the image/description, that replaces the manifold and the catback, but is missing the downpipe...which is one of the more restrictive parts to begin with.

From the reviews on Amazon of what is probably the same exhaust, prepare for a majorly raspy sound at higher throttle amounts...this will be exacerbated by the header, and a larger downpipe which I'd recommend to make use of having a header.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Thats what i was thinking as well.

Im not even sure im going to use the header. I was mostly looking to replace the dp and cat-back. Honestly the factory exhaust manifold looks pretty well designed as is.

Is there anyone who sells a "test pipe" or cat-less dp for these cars? All im coming up with are dp's for turbo cars.

As far as the rasp, i've ran these kits on other cars (no header) and thought they had a pretty clean deeper sound personally. Some of them have a fairly large resonator. My 2.0 focus sounded amazing. I couldnt even hear it at cruise.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
An LSJ Manifold and downpipe is a good, cheap alternative, as well.

ZZP sells a catless downpipe, but that's going to increase rasp more. I have a ZZP mid-length header, a ZZP catted downpipe, and an SS/TC exhaust (with a giant Magnaflow resonator replacing the factory resonator), and my car sounds great at idle and low throttle, but at full throttle, it is outrageously loud and raspy, as the SS/TC muffler does about zero muffling whatsoever at WOT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just looking at the LSJ option haha.

ZZP seems to be out of stock atm for the 2.2. But it looks like they are the only aftermarket option. Guess i will have to contact them. Im surprised china-bay didnt jump all over them.

I appreciate the insight on your set up. I may have to modify this if its too loud or raspy. I drive to much to have a raspy exhaust.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Not a problem!

And yeah, the Ecotecs can get really raspy, really quickly.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Possibly - and yes, they are similar - as long as you have a manual. The downpipes are different between the manual and auto cars, due to the angle the engine sits at (the top of the engine in the auto is rotated closer to the front of the vehicle). I forgot about that when I made my earlier statement about the LSJ manifold/downpipe - the manifold will work on either, but the LSJ downpipe will only work on a manual car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well zzp is out of stock and said they wont have any in for a couple weeks.

Which is odd, because i contacted a china-bay distributor and they are out for a couple weeks too. Guess they use the same suppliers? Im sure everything is sourced from china anymore.

The search continues...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.