Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out exactly what exhaust setup i want and its pretty overwhelming. I have a 2008 2.2 automatic, and all i have done is an intake. i have been thinking about buying the bad mab header so i can just bolt it up to my stock exhaust, but as i keep reading alot of guys are saying start with the exhaust first so i am in a bind. so i guess my question is i i were to get just a header is there going to evan be a performance difference with stock exhaust. and for the cat-backs a majority of people have the magnaflow cat but i hate how raspy it is, does anyone know of a really deep drone cat-back?

·
Registered
49 Posts
you probably wont see much gain at all if you did the headers before the exhaust. I'm actually planning on doing headers, downpipe and catback all at the same time. I'm still debating about the highflow cat.

Ive heard people say the Tsudo exhaust is good for how cheap it is.

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
If you're going to do a header, you'll pretty much want to do an exhaust and downpipe.

Think of it this way: you're blowing through a straw - that is your stock exhaust. If you get a header, that would be similar to you blowing harder through that straw - which will do little if nothing to the amount of air coming out the other end. Now, if you upgrade everything, then you would be blowing harder, but through a much, much bigger straw - like a paper towel roll.

If you want real low and mellow - GMPP exhaust is the way to go, no doubt.

·
Registered
224 Posts
header and dp is where the power is. The exhaust dosnt do anything besides make noise. I have tried both and right now I have dc sport exhaust with stock headers...no bueno. Gonna switch back to just header/ dp. Wouldnt waste your money on a exhaust unless you have a turbo, sc or v6

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
header and dp is where the power is. The exhaust dosnt do anything besides make noise. I have tried both and right now I have dc sport exhaust with stock headers...no bueno. Gonna switch back to just header/ dp. Wouldnt waste your money on a exhaust unless you have a turbo, sc or v6
That is rather incorrect...

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
Doing a header/downpipe with a stock exhaust really won't do much, as the catback is still a large restriction to flow. All three work the best. Getting just a catback won't do a ton, but it'll do enough. With a downpipe, it'll do even more. Completing it with a header will make for the best results.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Acutally I have just the header and although I cannot attest to a gain in Hp since I am not wasting the money on a dyno test before and after I garauntee there is a difference at least in torque. I did no other mod at the same time as the header so I can say 100% that was the difference maker. I will probably do a dp but unless I find an SS exhaust for cheap thats as far as I am going because I like that I sound stock until I get up to 2k rpm. Thats my experience anyways.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Parts arent cheap, piece together as much as you can instead of buying all at once. I have a 2.4 IM and TB sitting in my garage since Sept. because I ran out of cash for the tune, it sucks!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
If you're going to do a header, you'll pretty much want to do an exhaust and downpipe.

Think of it this way: you're blowing through a straw - that is your stock exhaust. If you get a header, that would be similar to you blowing harder through that straw - which will do little if nothing to the amount of air coming out the other end. Now, if you upgrade everything, then you would be blowing harder, but through a much, much bigger straw - like a paper towel roll.

If you want real low and mellow - GMPP exhaust is the way to go, no doubt.
Pretty much says it all....

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^Totally agree, my car is more of a dd and a stepping stone to get my next car so the headers were a cheap way to get added performance quick.

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
Header*

And yep, just piece it together.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
hahha force of habit, this is my first four banger in a while!

·
Say What again!
6,384 Posts
Haha, it's all good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.