Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have the stock bulbs and headlights, in my balt, the other day i bought some 9003/HB2 bulbs which are also the same as a H4 with the three prongs on the bottom.

they look like this:

my stock bulbs as most know plug in with something that looks like this:

if i were to buy something like this do you think it would fit the HB2 bulbs without having to try and upgrade to a HID harness?

keep in mind the bulbs are NOT HID bulbs they are just brighter than the stock 9007's

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Any particular reason you didn't just buy 9007s?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no reason other than i looked these up on ebay and it said they were compatible, and they aren't. i dont deal with headlights normally, i just buy the stock ones from walmart and replace them, i decided to go with a brighter bulb and couldnt find any for less than $25-35 so i bought these and they arent compatible i guess.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

i was led to believe from the ebay posting that they would fit my car so i bought them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Those will not put out the proper beam pattern. Your headlights are designed for 9007. And no, blue tinted bulbs are not brighter. If you got higher wattage bulbs, they'll only be slightly brighter. Diminishing returns tend to kick in as you bump up the wattage. Stick to stock bulbs.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
9003's are held in with a little spring. They also have specific notches for alignment. 9007's don't have either of these, instead there's a locking ring and they can only slide in one way. Just buy high output 9007 bulbs like the Phillips xtra vision

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the ones i got aren't actually blue they are super whites and they are halogen i do believe, they are 5000k or at least thats what the posting said.

i think the box read that they are 120v 60/55w

im thinking i bought bulbs that were not what they said they were. i think im going to end up sending them back and trying to get something else.

my biggest thing is i dont want HID's yet i just want something that is brighter and isnt going to cost $25-35 for 1 pair, i got 4 of these bulbs for $12, so i thought i was getting a deal.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Phillips Xtra Vision, Sylvania Silverstars, GE Nighthawk - something like that, in a 9007.

I have Silverstars in the Cav, and it was a night and day difference over the stock bulbs (not as substantial as HID, but a lot brighter/whiter).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i found some Philips CrystalVision Ultras, they are 4000k bulbs says they are bright white.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

i just found a pair of Farenheit Xenon Headlight Bulbs on ZZPerformance that are pretty nice, if im buying headlights do i have to go with something that is pulling same wattage or do i have to get ballasts for more wattage, idk anything about the electrical in these cars im the more mechanical type lol. if i go from a 55w to a 100w do i need the ballast and fuse wiring harness as well to carry that kind of wattage?

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Well if you're putting ballasts in, you're going to an HID bulb.

I wouldn't be upping the wattage on a halogen bulb - you'll likely end up melting the wiring, or the housing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
ok so i found some Philips CrystalVision Ultras, they are 4000k bulbs says they are bright white.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

i just found a pair of Farenheit Xenon Headlight Bulbs on ZZPerformance that are pretty nice, if im buying headlights do i have to go with something that is pulling same wattage or do i have to get ballasts for more wattage, idk anything about the electrical in these cars im the more mechanical type lol. if i go from a 55w to a 100w do i need the ballast and fuse wiring harness as well to carry that kind of wattage?
You should just get some projector housing and HID those. If you put HID's in the factory housing you will piss a lot of people off and have poor visibility anyway. The projector housing and an HID kit will come with everything you need without cutting or splicing wires.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they arent HID bulbs they are just a higher output bulb for the stock headlight assembly or so thats what ZZP says. it says that they are to just replace the stock bulbs without the hassle of upgrading to HID.

"Farenheit 9007 Super White Xenon headlights replace your factory "yellow" headlights."

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The guys on the cruze forums are putting in the Phillips I mentioned before and loving them. They're however upgrading their harness aswell

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
368 Posts
they arent HID bulbs they are just a higher output bulb for the stock headlight assembly or so thats what ZZP says. it says that they are to just replace the stock bulbs without the hassle of upgrading to HID.

"Farenheit 9007 Super White Xenon headlights replace your factory "yellow" headlights."
Those would work to replace your stock 9007's.
They are similar to what I have in mine right now. I have Silverstar zXe's https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-zxe.aspx but mine are the H7's since I have aftermarket Projector housing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those would work to replace your stock 9007's.
They are similar to what I have in mine right now. I have Silverstar zXe's https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-zxe.aspx but mine are the H7's since I have aftermarket Projector housing.
yeah here is the ad,

Farenheit - Farenheit Xenon Headlight Bulbs #FAR-XHB

i just emailed them to make sure but i think these are just a brighter bulb, the look like halogen bulbs so idk why they wouldnt be compatible. my dilemma is i dont own the car yet im still paying off the loan so i dont want to buy the HID headlight assemblies till i own it.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Actually the Cobalt housings work a lot better with HIDs than other stock housings...mine definitely work better than stock bulbs (ignoring high beams), and I've never been flashed by anyone.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Yup, and I've had HIDs since the beginning of 2009, haha.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually the Cobalt housings work a lot better with HIDs than other stock housings...mine definitely work better than stock bulbs (ignoring high beams), and I've never been flashed by anyone.
thats good to know for the future, i might have to try it out and see how they look.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.