Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my headlights on my 05 with some aftermarket OEM style ones. after having them a few weeks the drivers side has a lot of condensation inside the lens. the passenger side has none, I park it outside in the sun, but it still doesn't dry up. can I drill a tiny weep hole in it somewhere to help dry it out?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if you want more condensation,
go ahead and do it :p
how do you think the condensation gets in? through little holes.

Might be a small hole somewhere along the sealant.
Pull apart or even just put more sealant on it.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

after you pull the headlight out and let it sit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
you could always pop the headlight off and put a dryer in where the headlight bulb goes in. should be enough to clear up the condensation

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
But if condensation made its way in there,
it's going to do it again.
I have to drain my tail light like once a week because it builds up, and I don't care enough to re-seal it

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Actually I'm pretty sure a weep holw will help here. I know most headlights have a weep from the factory

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Registered
55 Posts
i bought some spec d black housing ones, and they said the first week or two is normal for condensation. but if it occurs after that then something isn't tight. i sent mine back 2 weeks ago and they sent me a new pair, so far so good...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Take your headlight out with both lights out, let it sit overnight somewhere condensation cannot get to it (in your residence). Next day, should be good to go, ensure you seal up your bulb housing. Drilling a weep hole would actually work, some aftermarket companies use a weep tube to allow for condensation to drain out.
If you plan on drilling it, I used before a 1/4" bit and went in near the headlight mount, a tad above it, should be a bulge of plastic, there is another layer of plastic roughly 1/2" behind that, so just go in slowly til a hole is on the back end and not visible on the front side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.