Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 cobalt ls and the heat stopped working. At first I thought it was the climate control unit, replaced but still nothing. None of the buttons for defrost light up or the air won't pump out the vents, it sounds like the air just lightly comes out of the front vents near the windshield. Any other ideas for some quick checks I can do to see if I can fix it?

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Does the car overheat? Do you have coolant? I worked on an '03 Civic SI once with a similar problem. Customer complained he had no heat, and the car ran rough. We worked out that he had a leaking headgasket, and that coolant was leaking into one of the cylinders causing a misfire. In such a case you might notice white exhaust smoke coming from the tail pipe. It might be worth a look.

If the blower itself isn't turning, check the fuse. Always a good place to start. The interior fuse box is located on the passenger side footwell, where your left foot would rest. You should see what looks like a fuse with a lightning bolt through it. There's also a box under the hood with the red + battery terminal sticking up through it. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That sucks. This is a bad time of year to be without heat. My Oldsmobile heater went out a couple years ago, and I still haven't been able to get it fixed, so I know what it's like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the car overheat? Do you have coolant? I worked on an '03 Civic SI once with a similar problem. Customer complained he had no heat, and the car ran rough. We worked out that he had a leaking headgasket, and that coolant was leaking into one of the cylinders causing a misfire. In such a case you might notice white exhaust smoke coming from the tail pipe. It might be worth a look.

If the blower itself isn't turning, check the fuse. Always a good place to start. The interior fuse box is located on the passenger side footwell, where your left foot would rest. You should see what looks like a fuse with a lightning bolt through it. There's also a box under the hood with the red + battery terminal sticking up through it. Good luck.
I already swapped out a couple fuses with no changes. No cylinder misfire but i will check the coolant to make sure everything is going to the right spots.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Have you checked your cabin air filter behind your glove box?

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
If it's just the filter, then it's a cheap, easy fix. After 100k miles it would be black as night and hard as stone. Mine was a mess with half that mileage. Does the interior of the car smell funny? Or can you smell the outside air/exhaust gases of other cars? Another sign the filter is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's just the filter, then it's a cheap, easy fix. After 100k miles it would be black as night and hard as stone. Mine was a mess with half that mileage. Does the interior of the car smell funny? Or can you smell the outside air/exhaust gases of other cars? Another sign the filter is bad.
No smells in the inside of the car but i could smell some of the exhaust from other cars. I'll get a new filter in the morning and see if that will fix it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.