Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm new here, I just bought myself a 2007 Cobalt, 4 door, white, with all the power options and features. I have upgraded to this car from a 1992 Ford F150, so I know nothing about the newer cars.

Everything runs great, and I had a couple recalls done at the local dealership. The only problems I have with it, well more like annoyances, are the heater fan has an annoying clicking noise when it's on. Also I am getting wind noise from the driver's side door.

I am thinking replace the blower motor and the door's weather seal.

Are all the blower motors like this? Is there an aftermarket replacement I can get that won't be as annoying as the factory one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
the heaters all do it, just a typical cobalt thing. They are a semi-pita to change because they need to be cut out.

For the door, how does it line up with the fender, roof, back door?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
For the heater start by replacing the cabin air filter. While the filter is out, run the fan to see if you can hear the noise, you might have a tree leaf or pine needle stuck somewhere. Vacuum the inside if you have dirt that made it pass the filter then insert new clean fresh filter (your lungs will love you for it).

As far as door wind noise verify that weather strip is not torn at the top, if it's OK check that top right corner of door is even with other corner of other door. If not like mine was, you'll need to bend the door frame a little. I had a body shop do it because they knew exactly what to do and where to place the block of wood and how much force to apply. They didn't charge anything for this adjustment. I know it sounds barbaric but that's how it's done. Mine didn't even make a whisper after I left there.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the Cobalt family, newcobaltdriver!

While I can't offer advice on how-to matters, if you had questions about warranties, recalls, the operation of your vehicle's features, or wanted assistance in the process of working with a dealership, let us know!

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the heaters all do it, just a typical cobalt thing. They are a semi-pita to change because they need to be cut out.

For the door, how does it line up with the fender, roof, back door?
Ok, well it's not THAT noticeable with music on. I think I can live with it. My old daily driver had plenty of squeaks and creaks, so this is nothing compared to that. Otherwise it is a very smooth and quiet running car.

I will check the door alignment, I'll get a picture on here too.

For the heater start by replacing the cabin air filter. While the filter is out, run the fan to see if you can hear the noise, you might have a tree leaf or pine needle stuck somewhere. Vacuum the inside if you have dirt that made it pass the filter then insert new clean fresh filter (your lungs will love you for it).

As far as door wind noise verify that weather strip is not torn at the top, if it's OK check that top right corner of door is even with other corner of other door. If not like mine was, you'll need to bend the door frame a little. I had a body shop do it because they knew exactly what to do and where to place the block of wood and how much force to apply. They didn't charge anything for this adjustment. I know it sounds barbaric but that's how it's done. Mine didn't even make a whisper after I left there.
Thank you! I will have a look.

Welcome to the forum and to the Cobalt family, newcobaltdriver!

While I can't offer advice on how-to matters, if you had questions about warranties, recalls, the operation of your vehicle's features, or wanted assistance in the process of working with a dealership, let us know!

Thanks Sarah! Is there any way to enable XM radio on my Cobalt? I don't have a satellite radio antenna above the rear window, so I'm thinking I will have to upgrade to a new stereo unit to get XM?

- Alex

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Alex -

If you were to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I can look at your vehicle build to better answer that questions. My email is in the signature to this post if you can't yet use the private messaging system.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you "upgrade" to a newer stock radio you will have to get it unlocked at your dealership which = $$$ You will be better off getting an aftermarket stereo with XM and going from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Alex -

If you were to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN, I can look at your vehicle build to better answer that questions. My email is in the signature to this post if you can't yet use the private messaging system.

I'll do that, because I don't think mine is XM equipped, but might as well find out.

If you "upgrade" to a newer stock radio you will have to get it unlocked at your dealership which = $$$ You will be better off getting an aftermarket stereo with XM and going from there.
Thanks! Just happened to notice you are here in MN as well. I grew up in the TC and am now living in the Grand Rapids area.

And Coby7 -

My door looks exactly like the picture you posted. It's not lined up properly. And the weather stripping is not torn, although it looks a little deformed on the right corner.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Nice, there are about five of us from MN on here. Come down some time this summer and cruise, race, relax. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you're good at basic mechanical things then you can prob line up your own door, if not then a bodyshop shouldnt cost much to do it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm new here, I just bought myself a 2007 Cobalt, 4 door, white, with all the power options and features. I have upgraded to this car from a 1992 Ford F150, so I know nothing about the newer cars.

Everything runs great, and I had a couple recalls done at the local dealership. The only problems I have with it, well more like annoyances, are the heater fan has an annoying clicking noise when it's on. Also I am getting wind noise from the driver's side door.

I am thinking replace the blower motor and the door's weather seal.

Are all the blower motors like this? Is there an aftermarket replacement I can get that won't be as annoying as the factory one?

Thanks!
Whatever is causing the fan clicking sound could cause the fan motor to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
they seem to do it for years. It should've been a recall since every cobalt in existance has this problem. Its not safety related though so screw us right?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Mine doesn't do it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine does it....and it was replaced under warranty a few years ago...so the replacement part was the same as the original.........not very good

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Mine didn't click until I switched HVAC units with someone. Not sure if that makes a difference or sheds light on the problem. Maybe it's just coincidence too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not sure if it's the same on the Cobalts but the fan on a Volvo we owned made a clicking noise for a year or so and eventually it died. The mechanic said it was debris like material that migrated from outside and got caught up in the fan. He had to take out the dashboard to get to the fan. I don't remember how much it cost but having it fixed was better than not having a defroster/defogger.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I'm on my second blower motor that is making that noise now. pisses me off to no end. I took it out last night and lubricated it. That will keep it quiet for a little while. Junk parts at their best.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You can't hear mine with music playing so I just play music

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah it seems to sorta come and go now as I'm driving. It's not real loud, but is noticeable. I agree on turning the music up, doesn't seem to bother me then.

Looks like I'll have to bend the door frame inward slightly to get rid of that wind noise. Again not too noticeable when music is on so maybe I'll just wait for spring to come around before I do anything in the cold haha

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the blower motor noise, and the wind noise on the 07 sedan i just bought.

as far as the blower is concerned, i turn it up to 3 for a second,and then back to 1 and it stops clicking for a little while, so it may be some type of debris.

the wind noise from the drivers door is almost unbearable!!! seriously, its bad!!! i noticed the other day that the top corner of the window seal is loose, and possibly the cause. i had some electrical tape in the car, and taped that area of the window, and i belive it quieted it down a little(was a windy day). im going to try again tomorrow.

how much of a pain is the window seal/trim to replace??

i was also thinking of getting those plastic window vent visors for it, figuring that may resolve it in a less frustrating manor? any ideas??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.