Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone today I plan on replacing my thermostat on my 2005 cobalt. Can someone please explain to me what tools i will need to do this. This all started because 2 days ago I stopped to get gas and i decided to put regular unleaded instead of mid grade 2 miles later my check engine light came on. The next day when i tried driving it the light went off however now when i drive it i have to watch my coolant temp because whenever i stop at a light while I'm idling the temp rises and rises yesterday it got up to 210 just idling in the Taco Bell drive thru for 5 to 10 mins. Any suggestions are great appreciated.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I highly doubt the fuel type has anything to do with this. More like is the engine has needed a bit of maintenance for a while. Spark plugs are cheap and easy, and if you haven’t installed new ones in a while you probably will benefit from new ones.

The thermostat is pretty easy. You can unbolt the housing with the hose attached, two 10mm bolts hold it on. You may struggle to get the hose clamp and hose off if you’ve never done this before. If you decide to remove the hose for better access, remove the hose with the thermostat housing attached to the engine. It will have a spring clamp that you’ll either have to figure out how to get pliers onto it. I have a specific set of pliers for these type of clamps but they are expensive especially if you’re using them only once.

You will want to pay attention to the placement of the thermostat when you remove it. It should be installed the same way. You will need a new seal for the thermostat as well. When refilling the coolant I usually do with with the car running so I don’t get air pockets. Once it’s filled, put the cap on, drive the car. Recheck the level once the car has cooled off after 20-30 minutes. Pretty fool proof.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts