Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a 2007 chevy cobalt 5 speed lt sedan a few years back. To be honest is wasn't my first choice for a car to buy but the miles price and lack of rust I could really pass. Plus the fact I needed a four door because of my kid. It just made more sense. After driving it a few years the car has grown on me quite a bit. Good on gas, plenty of space to go to the store and get some groceries, and not half bad looking. I had bought the car with around 85k on it and have put an honest 55k putting her around 141k. In the past few years I have replaced all the break components and most suspension with lowering springs. Something happened this summer though, I attended my first autocross event. I dove the cobalt to the event had no intentions of driving. But soon found out I could co-drive my friends car. Whom had recently acquired a 2003 Ford Focus SVT. ( It was a nice car until he rolled it a month later.) Anyway, after the first event I was hooked. I have now taken the cobalt to 2 events. I ran HS my first event. Then STS the next time around. Due to the fact I upgraded to slotted and drilled rotors and cat back exhaust as well ad the lowering spring. Anyway just here because I have come to appreciate the cobalt. Honestly never though I would say that. But here I am. Looking for ways to gain more power for the cobalt with out dumping a lot of money into it. Well Well heres to many more years of enjoyment.

Side note was having trouble uploading an avatar. Any help with that would be cool. Thanks.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Welcome!

Autocrossing is a lot of fun, and the Cobalt is a great platform to do it in - especially once you have upgraded components on the car.

Luckily, the nice thing about the Cobalt platform is how good the SS components were/are - and how they bolt right up to non-SS cars.

Reactions: Parthros

·
Registered
949 Posts
I acquired a 2007 Chevy Cobalt 5 speed LT sedan a few years back. To be honest is wasn't my first choice for a car to buy but the miles price and lack of rust I could really pass. Plus the fact I needed a four door because of my kid. It just made more sense. After driving it a few years the car has grown on me quite a bit. Good on gas, plenty of space to go to the store and get some groceries, and not half bad looking. I had bought the car with around 85k on it and have put an honest 55k putting her around 141k. In the past few years I have replaced all the brake components and most suspension with lowering springs. Something happened this summer though, I attended my first autocross event. I dove the Cobalt to the event had no intentions of driving. But soon found out I could co-drive my friends car. Whom had recently acquired a 2003 Ford Focus SVT. ( It was a nice car until he rolled it a month later.) Anyway, after the first event I was hooked. I have now taken the Cobalt to 2 events. I ran HS my first event. Then STS the next time around. Due to the fact I upgraded to slotted and drilled rotors and cat back exhaust as well add the lowering springs. Anyway just here because I have come to appreciate the Cobalt. Honestly never though I would say that. But here I am. Looking for ways to gain more power for the Cobalt without dumping a lot of money into it. Well Well here's to many more years of enjoyment.

Side note was having trouble uploading an avatar. Any help with that would be cool. Thanks.
Welcome to the forums! I feel like Cobalts have a tendency to grow on their owners.

Good to see another midwesterner around here! If you're in Oklahoma, you should totally PM me and let me know what area. See if we can getcha involved with the local Ecotec group :wink2:

For cheap additional power, you'll probably want to consider an intake, larger throttle body, header/downpipe, and a tune.

Intake:
Personally, I really liked my K&N intake when I was still N/A. It's for sale if you'd like it. I like to give the forum members better deals than random Craigslist buyers. Just PM me if you're interested.
Also, if you plan on getting your car tuned, an LSJ throttle body would be a good thing to have as well, of which I also happen to have a spare for sale :laugh2:

Exhaust:
If you don't mind the car getting louder, then ZZP's midlength header & downpipe combo is a great option. If you want it to stay quieter, then pick up an LSJ exhaust manifold and ZZP downpipe. If you're planning on getting tuned, request a 200 cell cat (or off road if you don't want a cat) from ZZP after ordering your downpipe. If you're not planning on getting tuned, then order a 400 cell cat. That'll prevent the Catalytic Converter Efficiency Threshold Check Engine Light from being thrown.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey, where about in the "Midwest"? I'm on the cool shores of Lake Michigan, half way between Milwaukee and Green Bay!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes, pretty close.....nearer to PortWashington

·
Registered
496 Posts
:Welcome:Big Fat Welcome from here in Far South Oklahoma or very north Mexico

Mid west??? Hmmmm thats any where from eastern Tennesee border to western Kansas all the way ut to a few miles east of Dever.
Common Knight give us a wee bit more of a location...
I know one of us has just passed you on the boulevard just dont know which one. Still very Welcolm :Welcome:

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Son just left for Army basic training in Fort Sill Oklahoma this morning. We'll be driving down there in September for his graduation. From what I hear, he's gonna be a little warm down there. Sure gonna miss the guy!

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Emeraldknight, where for art thou?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.