Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my affair back in 07 late 07 when I got into the working force and decided I needed a more economical means for transportation.

I'm a pc kind of guy and at the time the GM Cobalt base base model was we within my budget, and when test driving the 08 I went all in.

That charcoal beast sustained me until I took a turn in front of a semi turning away from me at a yellow light. Needles to say some ass hat came down the road behind said semi in the process clipped me. I lost my beast totalled him out. My next purchase was off course 07 Lt 2.2. and had been clutch ever since. I find myself in a tough spot needing to have the head gasket replaced and I got a Haynes book but like one poster suggested it's sorry tailored to a back yard machanic. Which I'm not ashamed to say. Since this Rona introduced us way into our lives. I to am a back yard machanic. So in order to present my ask to the one I attempted to reach out to. This site forced me from being the wall flower I tend to be.

That's me!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well good luck Jose.
It can be done but don’t do it 1/2 way.
Give us all the stats on your car and why you think it needs a head gasket.
Source out all of your parts and fine out what a good head bolt set costs along with a top end gasket set, that also includes.. intake manafold gasket set, exhaust manafold gasket set thermostat & o-rings along with the headgasket. And a fresh change of your coolant. Oil and oil filter.
Remember the standard coolant is NOT the normal green antifreeze.
You’ll need access to some good tool and torque wrench and torque angle gauge. And to save several skinned knuckles get an OEM brand or equal hose spring clamp pliers. Expect to pay about $40 for them. They are only $30 overpriced and worth every bit of $50 for the hassle they save. You can find them at Autozone and several othe parts houses and auto supply stores.
Then find the shop that can do a valve job on your cylinder head and what it cos

·
Registered
753 Posts
Then find the shop that can do a valve job on your cylinder head and what it cost and include all of your parts and extra tool charges.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For sure so far so I retained out of pocket is the oil synthetic 24$, dexicol coolant 20$ and a water pump tension holder 40$ and a nice looking gasket kit for 40$ after taxes. Still consider going a little higher on the actual head gasket itself with a flopro, I may have butchered that companies name.

Sprocket holder for water pump I picked that up at a specialty store locally. Simple reason it was made for the ecotec motor. It's made by Lisle, cost 40$ I'll share a link of what it looks like.

Head Gasket Set Compatible with 2007-2008 Chevy Cobalt HHR Malibu Pontiac G5 Compatible with 2007 Saturn Ion Vue 2.2L L4 HS26223PT-5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LCM1ZR...abc_WMGH8TAC3M83EPGER91D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking for a service manual but after digging I found something similar, might actually be the manual but I was hoping for a step by step guideline.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I’ve don’t many head gaskets over the years. And while a novice can do it, I have fixed a lot of customers vehicles that have tried it on their own. I see a lot of things being over looked.

I would personally plan on replacing the timing chain set and water pump at the same time since it’s already going to be disassembled. I makes no sense to leave the old stuff in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So why do you think you need to replace your head gasket?
So why do you think you need to replace your head gasket?
I've been having a bit of an oil leak and if late it's gotten to be more like a glob of oil drops out at once typically when I start the car till it warms up.

I've traced the leak to one of two places, Intake or right at the level that the gasket is near the oil intake but the intake housing appeared to be in good condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve don’t many head gaskets over the years. And while a novice can do it, I have fixed a lot of customers vehicles that have tried it on their own. I see a lot of things being over looked.

I would personally plan on replacing the timing chain set and water pump at the same time since it’s already going to be disassembled. I makes no sense to leave the old stuff in there.
Thanks Cody for the tip and heads up. I've taken all suggestions into consideration right before stepping the it all out. I planned accordingly I'm currently about to mount on the new water pump and thermostat but I'm a passanger on that struggle bus when it comes to the exhaust manifold, I've gotten all ten bolts and manifolds to cc apart. But can't seem to get the dang thing to budge. I've opted out of the timing chain just because all indication of the belt being on great shape are there. I'll remove and clean the heck out of it though. And I'm mmmmmmm

·
Registered
753 Posts
To check the head gasket, one normally performes a compression test.
For oil leaks, look at known problem areas such as the oil pressure sending unit and cracked oil filter cap. These are a 5min change in the $5-$15 problem range.
Pressure wash your engine or have it done and look for the source of the oil leak. You need to look for the oil leak soon after cleaning before it has a chance to get sprayed all over or is blown all over.

Oil leak is not the normal reason to replace a head gasket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts