Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group!
I had a 07 Mazda 3 for 7 years until it was recently repo'd. Thanks to the federal government checks and Craigslist I stumbled upon an 06 SS (Which I have never heard of until 3-4 weeks ago). The best 4600 I have EVER spent! These cars are solid, fast and beautiful!

So far I have painted some trim, dropped in some red LED's under the dash to match the paint, replaced the door speakers with Kicker KS 6.2, used a SHI* load of Touch up Paint and added a Scan Gauge 2 to the dash.

In progress:
New Single DIN Sony deck (I may need some forum help!)
Replace the rear deck speakers

Soon to come:
Black A/C Unit (I refuse to put my silver one back in the dash! :nahnah )
Re-Set the ECU (thanks to your ideas to restore the Cruise Control)
Paint the trim, again
Recover the soft vinyl door panels.
Short throw Shifter with Red & Black Knob
LEDs under the seats, in the trunk, under hood & chaise.
Tape out the all chrome eyes and "black" out the unnecessary & add white LEDs to halo them out.

Down the line....
Black with red Stripe 18"s
a 10k paint job to restore back to showroom with a black hood
If I can not confirm I am at stage 2 (Scan Gauge Showed a 255hp Reading) I will put in the Stage 2 kit.

I have a LOT of music and a Decent amount of Graphics & Web Knowledge. Also have the Alldatadiy.com access incase someone needs a diagram! Don't forget to reach out!

:thanks

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Welcome. First, pics are a must here, lol. Second, diy and the audio forum both have install how to's for radio install. Strongly suggest you get double din, more expensive but worth it for the look.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 06 ss!

Hi kmac, Blackbalts and Stratosproject!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am from MA. Just north of Boston.

Eventually I will go with a 7" Double Din Display, but for now I'm stuck on a budget and a Sony Single DIN will have to do for now.

Alpine 6 x 9 are hitting the back dash once I get it up and running.

:eek:fftopic: I freelance for a GPS company that has a focus on the Towing Industry, but have a unit mounted in my car. If anyone, or anyone you think of might be interested in really securing their ride I can certainly do some online demos.
You can log online, view current & past location(s) speed, journey's and a crap ton more...it's actually amazing and the best $19.99 a month investment I have ever spent to secure my ride.

Infinite Global GPS Solutions (I know the site has 2 layouts and missing links...the car has topped priority...lol )

So here are the pics!
First- 2 on the Lot's

GOD Awful Stuck on Valve Caps....$30 well worth dollars to change out these!

And Voila!

First Project (3 Piece Trim before the black door handels)

Oops. Broke the stock radio painting the faceplate. BEWARE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE GLASS PIECE!!! IT IS GLUED AND YOU WILL BREAK IT LIKE MY DUMB AS*

Finally sitting at home where it belongs....

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
welcome! looks like you got a good gameplan going on, stick to it and you will love your ride!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bronxs! Appreciate the welcome.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Welcome! Glad you came here and the FB page

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, my first "Car Club" and you all rock!

Shevil, looking at any particular brands? Love the Black on Black!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Welcome to the best .enjoy your cruise .I love this site .been here forever .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was just in Braintree last week looking at another cobalt and I'll be in Fenway tomorrow, hopefully not getting rained on. I wish I lived closer to Boston, I'm sure you love it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, my first "Car Club" and you all rock!

Shevil, looking at any particular brands? Love the Black on Black!
Im particularly fond of Alpine and kenwood... I had a JVC in my Mustang and hated it lol

And thanks! Cant go wrong with all black... well actually, the front and rear grills are painted red :D but the bowties are also black :p the SS badges are still white however, not sure if I will keep them white or not haha

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jcv?

Ewww.

lol Yeah I do not blame you! The most tricked out, high end head unit I had was an Eclipse. Check em out! Pricey, but so worth it!

Alpine is hot too. I just grabbed some 6x9 for my rear deck. I know its unusual. Doors with Kickers and a back deck with Alpines..I'm just a sucker for a sale. :toung:

So after toying with my radio and not much progress as I have the wrong mounting kit....again. The dash trim is on the floor being painted black. The only part that will go red is the Rectangle divider between the heated seats and the air bag indicator as well and the radio mounting trim.

:nahnah

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Ewww.

lol Yeah I do not blame you! The most tricked out, high end head unit I had was an Eclipse. Check em out! Pricey, but so worth it!

Alpine is hot too. I just grabbed some 6x9 for my rear deck. I know its unusual. Doors with Kickers and a back deck with Alpines..I'm just a sucker for a sale. :toung:

So after toying with my radio and not much progress as I have the wrong mounting kit....again. The dash trim is on the floor being painted black. The only part that will go red is the Rectangle divider between the heated seats and the air bag indicator as well and the radio mounting trim.

:nahnah
I like high end Kenwoods (as they connect well with Kenwood Amps), Eclipse's, and Pioneer. However, my favorite HU of all are the Pioneer Premier's. Those are worth the time and money right there. 10x's better than the non-premier. Infact, I'm actually running an OLD Premier in my evo right now.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Looks great man, and you gotta good car to have some fun with, if I had a Supercharged cobalt I'd be slapping in intake on that pronto! the blower will sound soooo sexy under WOT ;)

Honestly, unless your door panel covers are cracked or look insanly shitty, dont touch them, some have luck with that project, but 90% of the time the glue lets go or the panel just never sits right again.

Did you burn the first valve stem caps to make sure they never live again? I probably woulda stuck them on someones prius in a parking lot hehe.

gonna remove the back bowtie?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kenwood

I like high end Kenwoods (as they connect well with Kenwood Amps), Eclipse's, and Pioneer. However, my favorite HU of all are the Pioneer Premier's. Those are worth the time and money right there. 10x's better than the non-premier. Infact, I'm actually running an OLD Premier in my evo right now.

I have had a few Kenwoods back in the day. They are pretty solid. I have never heard of the Premier...I think a google search is in order.

Funny thing happened, I just discovered when at the Audio Installers down the street picking up my parts..I have a 07 radio in my 06. And of course not one installer in a 30 mile radius has one. I hate waiting... :push:

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Looks great man, and you gotta good car to have some fun with, if I had a Supercharged cobalt I'd be slapping in intake on that pronto! the blower will sound soooo sexy under WOT ;)

Honestly, unless your door panel covers are cracked or look insanly shitty, dont touch them, some have luck with that project, but 90% of the time the glue lets go or the panel just never sits right again.

Did you burn the first valve stem caps to make sure they never live again? I probably woulda stuck them on someones prius in a parking lot hehe.

gonna remove the back bowtie?
The bowtie is either coming off or getting a black and red make over...

As a matter of fact, there IS a cold air intake installed, there isn't a brand badge on it and I have not had a chance to take the wheel well off to see the filter. So that's why I haven't listed it yet.

Thanks for the advice on the panels! Good to know. I make get a quote on a professional job for that one.
I would love to get the chrome off the handels and make them Victory Red.

Picked up Red LED bulbs today for a swap in the Climate Unit..I'll work on that later this week.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.