Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I'm still kinda new to my Cobalt...learning as much as I can and what not.
I have a 2008 LS coupe, manual. I'm having a couple problems with it, but over all, I love it! I'm going to search around the boards before posting a thread about the problems I'm having and sounds I'm hearing. I already know I need to put in a new clutch...I'm not sure how the previous owner drove it, but I do know that it was owned by a Soldier and there was about 75,000 miles on it...and I taught myself how to drive stick in it, didn't destroy anything though!
Hope to talk to you all again!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not quite sure what it is. When I hit about 30 mph, I hear a whirring sound, and when I slow down to a stop, it slows down and stops. I never run my air conditioner or heater. And say when I'm on the freeway, getting off on an off ramp, I'll pop it into neutral and just coast to a stop, the whirring sound still continues till I stop. One of my friends said it could be my CAT, or the clutch itself...I'm just not sure. I'm not smelling any "eggy" smells coming from the exhaust...and I hear the clutch making a little bit of a knocking sound (I'm guessing that's what it is, still learning here)...other than that everything's ok...gas mileage could be better, but I'm fighting So. Cal traffic, so I'm screwed either way lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check it out, I thought it was my hub caps, took those off cause they were rattling and it got annoying, whirring is still there. Thank you!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the driver side, my friend drove my car and says the same, needed a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
My daughters complained of a similar noise in our 2007. I took it out for a spin. It's a bearing alright passenger side I believe.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Wheel bearings will sound like a helicopter as well

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
This one sounds like a really knobby winter tire.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Do you have a really knobby winter tire on?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Do you have a really knobby winter tire on?
If you are asking me, no, I have a very quiet Hankook iPike winter tire. They actually make less noise than the summer Falkens 528. I know it's the bearing, had the same problem before on my 1998 Malibu.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'd change it before it binds up... I would be able to convince the wife that I need other things for it too.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I've never heard of a hub and bearing assembly binding up. I've heard of the old style bearings.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Any luck getting this taken care of since your last post, WaffleWarrior?

Sarah, GM Customer Service

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.