Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
You will have to remove the entire center console to get to them. IIRC they are both on the same panel.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
yea the whole top of that console has to come off and then as for the 12 volt lighter sockets disconnect the wires to them and then just push on them really hard from the back side and they will pop out

i had trouble with this when i did mine. you can tell they push out but they are so hard to push that i thought maybe i was wrong and about to break something. but binicki confirmed they just push. so dont be afraid to push hard on those

·
Registered
86 Posts
you have to remove the part under the armrest around the E-brake (must engage!) first (if you have an armrest), then you can pop up the other part, but you have to pull your gear into L (make sure you still have the E-brake on!!!!!!) then the outlets are held into place with clips. you just need to find the side that you push in on the little clip to let it release, then VIOLA!!!

As far as the trim, to remove that, there are clips on each of its 4 corners holding it down to the shift console (be careful, i accidentally broke one of mine, but it came off (lol)) and just make sure you dont loose the little P-R-N-D-I-L piece, it falls out easily.

While you're in there you can also get at the led that lights it up, and change the color while you're at it.

Have FUN!!

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea the whole top of that console has to come off and then as for the 12 volt lighter sockets disconnect the wires to them and then just push on them really hard from the back side and they will pop out

i had trouble with this when i did mine. you can tell they push out but they are so hard to push that i thought maybe i was wrong and about to break something. but binicki confirmed they just push. so dont be afraid to push hard on those
ok, i had trouble disconnecting the lighters for some reason, and also, the top of the piece labeled in the picture wouldnt tilt any farther for me to get my hand in there to even try to disconnect it...

should i be taking off more of the panels?

·
Registered
85 Posts
all you should have to do is pull up.. Put the car in nuetral or drive so the shifters not in the way and pull up and towards you. atleast thats what i do and it works for me.

I hope this helped

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all you should have to do is pull up.. Put the car in nuetral or drive so the shifters not in the way and pull up and towards you. atleast thats what i do and it works for me.

I hope this helped
just tried to do it your way, still gets stuck on the lower part of the HVAC controls.

??

·
Registered
86 Posts
ok, i had trouble disconnecting the lighters for some reason, and also, the top of the piece labeled in the picture wouldnt tilt any farther for me to get my hand in there to even try to disconnect it...

should i be taking off more of the panels?
First off, take out your cupholder, till you have an empty hole there.
then put on the E-brake, and remove the piece around that first (looks like you already did) the PUT THE CAR INTO THE LOW GEAR. pull up on the whole piece starting from the rear and it should lift over the shifter and gradually slide out.

If you still cant get it, let me know so I can post pics.

No offense, but its really not that hard.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
It should work if you put the car in drive or even I or L if you have to. just push upward towards your roof or your car, holding onto the back part of the trim piece by the ebrake cigarette lighter (making sure to have that wire detached). Then pull towards you it should come right out there is nothing else holding it in. The hvac controls are completly separate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK, i took some pictures anyway (sorry camera phone)

remove cupholder

lift here after placing vehicle into gear

see, as you lift, it will lift over the shifter

again, continue lifting, and you will notice it separate from under the HVAC controls. if you notice the outlet on the far left has the cylinder, there is a push in clip to push (should be towards the bottom and then pull the wires free)

finally completed!!!

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off, take out your cupholder, till you have an empty hole there.
then put on the E-brake, and remove the piece around that first (looks like you already did) the PUT THE CAR INTO THE LOW GEAR. pull up on the whole piece starting from the rear and it should lift over the shifter and gradually slide out.

If you still cant get it, let me know so I can post pics.

No offense, but its really not that hard.
Ok, i got it now. Thanks....runbigmama. lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
lol thanks for the diagram. i look at that as i sit next on my couch to my center console. haha.

gonna mask it up and spray down the trim!
you gonna do it red like i saw in your HVAC/Radio trim?
if so, what paint do you use, and post some pics of your interior when you're done; I'd love to see it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
damn that looks nice. i wish i had black interior, but i have that gray crap.
In your opinion, what color do you think would compliment my exterior best?
Mine is slate metallic (kinda a grayish blueish)

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
damn that looks nice. i wish i had black interior, but i have that gray crap.
In your opinion, what color do you think would compliment my exterior best?
Mine is slate metallic (kinda a grayish blueish)
thanks!

can you take a picture of it? id have to see it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
thanks!

can you take a picture of it? id have to see it.
alrighty.
I dont have anythigng recent to show any of my mods yet, but this was it coming off the lot.

Also, since you did your side defroster outlets red, i think you should do the vets red to. Idk how you would remove them though to paint them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.