Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front right speaker of my 07 LT has blown, and I'm interested in just replacing all of my speakers. I know very little on this subject, besides the couple hours I've spent researching today.
My question is, will I need to add an amp if all i'm doing is replacing the speakers, and how hard is it to later add an amp and sub if it's something I'm interested in down the road?
I guess specifically I need to know if the stereo in an 07 LT model has enough wattage for aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
no. If you're just doin speakers now, you don't need an amp. Just use the wires that are already there. amps just let the speakers get louder without blowing. I wouldnt say its easier or harder to install subs and an amp later but your back will hurt afterward (leaning in the trunk for a long amount of time)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! What do I need to know about the adapter harness? I read that they are available for chevy's on ebay, and I found some for $10 each. I also read something about cheap harnesses though, and that they may cause me to lose the door chime?

·
Registered
115 Posts
you can also ask someone who works for an audio store. Don't use Best Buy unless you know someone that works there. They usually tell you something is wrong and you'll need another part to make it work that they didn't tell you about earlier.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm going through the same thing. I have an 08 Cobalt and replacing my stereo made me loose the "ding ding" and "click click" that you hear. You can buy a part (around $100+) that will allow you to hear those little noises.
Also there are wiring harnesses that you can buy online for about $10 (note: you will loose the ding ding click click feature) that will allow you to hook up an aftermarket deck.
As far as subs/etc. I personally am running an RCA from my deck to the ampt, then to the subs, then leaving my door and back speakers just hooked up to the deck. Will be better than stock at least. Later on I'll re-do all my speakers to an amp...but I have better things to do to my car than that. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not trying to change the stereo though, just the speakers. Should I still lose my precious dings and clicks?

·
Registered
317 Posts
what r the stock sizes for the cobalt?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.