Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i really effed one of trim pieces up while painting. whats the best way to just start over?

the piece like rolled over while it was wet, and now the paints all gunked up.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
what exactly is wet sanding? and what grit should i use?
Well, i dont guess you HAVE to wet sand it, I do... it gives it a MUCH smoother appearance & its easier IMO... just get the fine grit (i forget the number exactly) but not the really really fine...kinda in the middle i guess.....(there's a pack of 3M @ advance auto that has both grits in it, if that helps) wet the peice ur gonna sand & wet the sand paper, keep a bucket of water near by & just keep them both soaked, hope that makes sence, lol...

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
youtube wet sanding

But you don't need to wet sand.. just get some 400 grit sand paper and sand the spot that is messed up untl smppth then use some 1000 grit sand paper to smooth that out then repaint

·
Registered
328 Posts
depends on how bad it is.. if its really roughed up then start with a coarse grit like 320 or 400 but then work your way up to somewhere around 600-1000 if you just go over 400 grit scratches with 1000 it will feel smooth but you wont get all the scratches out id recommend going like 400, 500, 600 then paint you could even stop at 500 but the smoother the better... wet sanding usually gives you a smoother finish than dry sanding but both work just as effectivly... just be sure to remove all the water and clean very well before repainting check my how to if you would like and if you got any more questions feel free to ask!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.