Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just ordered a Kenwood KDC-BT318U CD Receiver from Crutchfield, and plan on installing it as soon as it comes in. However I am confused on weather or not the wiring interface that keeps warning chimes active is an absolute need. Furthermore, do I need that adapter to get full functionality out of my head unit, or is it just simply for warning chimes?
-thanks

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
That module is just for the vehicle chimes through the speakers, it'll work just fine without it - but your vehicle chimes (also including the turn signal clicking) will not play.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the conformation.
Another quick question about the sub and amp I just got. Simply wondering if they are a good match up for each other.
Subs- Kicker CompR Dual 12" DualVoiceCoil 2Ohm Subwoofers with Enclosure Black 40DCWR122 - Best Buy

Amp- Amazon.com: Boss PH5000D Phantom 5000-Watt Class D Monoblock Amplifier with Remote: Car Electronics

The subs have 800W RMS per sub, which I understand, however the amp confuses me because it says "Delivers 5000 Watts at 1 ohm; 3500 Watts at 2 ohms; 1800 Watts at 4 ohms"...

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
So the enclosure wires the two subs together internally, and has a single 2-ohm terminal, and the combo is rated at 1000W RMS handling, or 2000W Peak handling. Peak Power really is just a non-standard BS measurement of power (A Mine-has-more kind, if you will). You'll notice that a lot of top-end brands never list specs as "peak"; only RMS (or, continuous - what it can do consistently), since that is an actual measure of real, usable power. Peak power, on the other hand, a company can say "sure, our sub will handle 5,000W of power!" when they're referring to a sub hit at 5000W for 0.1 sec - this is a peak to them. But RMS may be far lower....800 or so.

Boss audio is a brand who has a habit of over-rating the power of their products. That said, at a 2-ohm load, it'll probably be a pretty good match for the power handling of that sub enclosure.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
They shouldn't be, no, unless the previous owner was a jackass and had the gain all the way up (where it would sound absolutely terrible anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.