Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help Removing Wiring On Taillight

Hi everyone. I need some help removing my current taillights. I bought new taillights (the whole assembly) but I’ve run into a problem removing the old ones.

My car is set-up to be dinghy towed (previous owner) so there is an extra bulb in my taillight. This bulb has 3 wires that connect to my towing wiring harness. As far as I can tell, these wires are separate from the stock wiring.

I am going to cut the wires running to the extra bulb and remove the assembly. My question is, what do I do to the cut wires to protect them from the elements?? Can I wrap them in electrical tape? Or should I do something else?

The wires should be dead but I just want to make sure I don’t have problems down the road. I.e. my car catching on fire or having a short.

Any help is appreciated! I don’t know anything about wiring so the more detail the better.

\/ Below is what the taillight looks like.

·
Registered
274 Posts
there have been a lot of modifications to that housing. Looks like someone installed strobes at some point and hacked the original wiring.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there have been a lot of modifications to that housing. Looks like someone installed strobes at some point and hacked the original wiring.
:blink: It's the wiring for when the car gets towed... If I had strobe lights in my taillights I wouldn't have bothered to get LEDs :laugh:

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

yeah that a whole lot of extra wiring. umm lets see damn they did a ghetto n shady job on it, whom ever did it
Pretty sure it was professionally (at least some-what anyway) done, lol. An elderly couple owned the car before me, so I'm sure they took it to a shop.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so what happens when you turn the lights on?
The little bulb for the side marker turns on, as well as the bulb for the turn signal. The extra bulb doesn't do anything.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

I’m assuming the extra bulb is wired so that when the RV puts its blinker on the extra light in my taillight blinks also.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
yeah looks like some one melted a hole in the housing and put another bulb of some sort in there

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
id just leave it be, or try to find some new ones...although they are very pricey...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
id just leave it be, or try to find some new ones...although they are very pricey...
I already bought new ones... I want to replace the whole assembly. But I don't know what do do with the extra wires.... or where the new assembly is supposed to plug in.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

yeah looks like some one melted a hole in the housing and put another bulb of some sort in there
Yep, that's exactly what they did. The bulb is held in with some sort of epoxy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you want to, one option is to cut ALL the wires, and then match colors with new plugs from the dealer. Takes some time but it will be right when your done.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ohhh, i see what goin on, hardwiring is your only option i guess unless you can find a harness from some screwed up tails...even a coupe harness SHOULD work...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to, one option is to cut ALL the wires, and then match colors with new plugs from the dealer. Takes some time but it will be right when your done.
Can't I just cut the 3 wires to the extra bulb?? The rest of the wiring looks stock to me.

If I cut ALL the wires, I'd still be left with extra wires because there would be no bulb for them to be hooked up to... right? :???:

Sorry guess I don't know what you're saying... I know nothing about wiring.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

ohhh, i see what goin on, hardwiring is your only option i guess unless you can find a harness from some screwed up tails...even a coupe harness SHOULD work...
*Gulp* Hardwiring?? I'd have to take it to a shop for that :cry:

·
Registered
274 Posts
duffy and I are talking about the same thing. Essentially, you have brake and turn signal lights, does reverse work as well? If so, touch nothing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My question is, what do I do to the cut wires to protect them from the elements?? Can I wrap them in electrical tape? Or should I do something else?

This does make more sense and now I can answer your question. If you just cut the wire, and no wire is exposed, then they can just hang and nothing will happen. However, if you strip the insulation and bare wire is exposed, thats where you have a problem. You do not need to wrap them in anything. However, if it eases your mind, you can use shrink wrap over the wire with about a 1/2 inch extra length at the end. Not necessary but if it eases your mind, then proceed accordingly.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Cut the wires to the extra bulbs and use shrink wrap to cover the exposed ends. I have done this with light wires on my Jeep and truck and have never had any hassles (I used the Jeep for its intended purpose).

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This does make more sense and now I can answer your question. If you just cut the wire, and no wire is exposed, then they can just hang and nothing will happen. However, if you strip the insulation and bare wire is exposed, thats where you have a problem. You do not need to wrap them in anything. However, if it eases your mind, you can use shrink wrap over the wire with about a 1/2 inch extra length at the end. Not necessary but if it eases your mind, then proceed accordingly.
Thank you.

Sorry for the confusion. In my first post, I was freaking out because I had no clue what to do & therefore did not explain things well. But when I thought about it, what else could I do besides cut the dang thing off? Lol.

Cut the wires to the extra bulbs and use shrink wrap to cover the exposed ends. I have done this with light wires on my Jeep and truck and have never had any hassles (I used the Jeep for its intended purpose).
Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Thank you.

Sorry for the confusion. In my first post, I was freaking out because I had no clue what to do & therefore did not explain things well. But when I thought about it, what else could I do besides cut the dang thing off? Lol.
Thank you :)
No confusion here, I knew exactly what you were trying to do as I have towed cars before and had to wire them up in similar ways.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
No confusion here, I knew exactly what you were trying to do as I have towed cars before and had to wire them up in similar ways.
That's because you didn't see my original post :embarrest:. I did a complete overhaul on it.. haha.

So from what you know about towing, should any wires for the extra bulb be connected to the battery? Because that is what I was mainly worried about.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.