Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My colbalt won’t start or even try and turn over but when I crawled under my stater would spin but nothing engaged to start the car do I need to replace the starter or is it in theft mode like what my dad thinks (my starter is also original on the car and rusted badly)

·
Registered
22 Posts
With someone Turning the key tap the starter for the hammer and see if it engages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is there any oil leaking on the starter? It’s common for the oil pressure switch/sensor to leak right onto the starter and cause it to short out.

When the security system malfunctions, the starter will engage. It will spin the engine also. But will not start it. If the starter is spinning but not engaging the engine, the solenoid that pushes the gear out is probably bad. So bad starter in that case.

Just had a Malibu, same 2.2 engine with a no start issue. Starter would spin the engine and everything. It actually had the security light on which was confusing. I happened to try swapping the ignition control module out and that happened to be the problem. Only applicable to 05-06 Cobalts with the 2.2l.

What year is the car? Which engine does it have? LS, LT, LTZ, should have the 2.2 engine. Although starters and a lot of stuff are the same on most Ecotec engines. 2.4 engines included.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any oil leaking on the starter? It’s common for the oil pressure switch/sensor to leak right onto the starter and cause it to short out.

When the security system malfunctions, the starter will engage. It will spin the engine also. But will not start it. If the starter is spinning but not engaging the engine, the solenoid that pushes the gear out is probably bad. So bad starter in that case.

Just had a Malibu, same 2.2 engine with a no start issue. Starter would spin the engine and everything. It actually had the security light on which was confusing. I happened to try swapping the ignition control module out and that happened to be the problem. Only applicable to 05-06 Cobalts with the 2.2l.

What year is the car? Which engine does it have? LS, LT, LTZ, should have the 2.2 engine. Although starters and a lot of stuff are the same on most Ecotec engines. 2.4 engines included.
It’s a 2006 ls and we figured out it was a bad starter where it was spinning but not spinning the engine and there was no leaks my boyfriends dad said it was a bad solenoid so he’s gonna replace it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts