1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm not exactly subjective here, as I make option (2) below, but here's my advice on tail lights:

1. Get the K2 LED version of these lights that SpeedyCobalt linked to. They are available in red, red smoked or clear smoked. Best (cheapest) place to get em is K2motors on Ebay (NOT their website)

red - $100.68 shipped - 05 10 Chevy Cobalt 2dr Coupe Red Clear LED Rear Tail Trunk Lights 4pc | eBay
red smoked - $121.59 shipped - 2005 2010 Chevy Cobalt 2dr 2D LED Tail Lights Smoke 4pc | eBay
clear smoked - $119.68 shipped- 2005 2010 Chevy Cobalt 2dr 2D LED Tail Lights Smoke 4pc | eBay

2. You could PM me about these custom double LED lights based on the K2 lights above:

3. If you're dead set on the non-LED version, at least get them from K2motors Ebay store, where they are quite a bit cheaper:

red smoked - $87.37 shipped - 2005 2010 Chevy Cobalt 2D 2dr Tail Lights Smoke 4pc | eBay

As far as head lights I'm a big fan of the 4th Gen DEPO lights.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yeah it's where you..we.. "retrofit" projector lenses into the stock headlights, looks better than aftermarket projectors and work much better. I had Gen1's in my old SS and the light output couldn't hold a candle next to my buddy who had retro's

Pm CAD_88, he's also on OCC, he does excellent work, I think he used to make retro's for people, he might still, worth a shot if you really dont want to/know how to tackle it

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah it's where you..we.. "retrofit" projector lenses into the stock headlights, looks better than aftermarket projectors and work much better. I had Gen1's in my old SS and the light output couldn't hold a candle next to my buddy who had retro's

Pm CAD_88, he's also on OCC, he does excellent work, I think he used to make retro's for people, he might still, worth a shot if you really dont want to/know how to tackle it
so u dont reccomend aftermarket lights?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Nope I'll take a picture of the retros I made and post it in a bit.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
so u dont reccomend aftermarket lights?
Nothing beats a properly done retrofit.

You pay for it though if someone else does the work.

Do it right the first time, or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Define right? I made a set with mini H1 projects and am going to switch to FX-R projects over the summer. Both are an improvement but one is better.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would recommend after market headlights if you're on kind of a budget.. obviously don't cheap out and get $80 headlights, but for about $200 you can gets decent set. Or like they say.. retrofit. But it's much more expensive.. but with a better result so it's your choice from here

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
ya ill get aftermarket, would you recommend a specific website?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Also, don't get headlights with "smoked" lenses. It will kill your output. Even the lenses on my stock headlights had a little bit of tint to them. I did a fresh EvoX-R retrofit into some TYC stock headlights that has lenses with no tint at all. See the difference...

Here's a close-up. The LED halos inside the shrouds are connected to a relay that's fuse tapped into the DRL fuse slot. Works really well.

I probably went overboard with this retrofit. About $600 total, not including the ballasts, which I am reusing from my Mini H1 retrofit. I also went with Philips bulbs because they're much brighter than aftermarket, last longer, and are a true 4,300k. Just a hint of yellow, which is best for Pacific NW weather. You can do a Mini H1 retrofit for around $300 with your stock headlights. You can probably do it for even less and still have headlights that provide much better light than those cheap "halo projector lights."

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, don't get headlights with "smoked" lenses. It will kill your output. Even the lenses on my stock headlights had a little bit of tint to them. I did a fresh EvoX-R retrofit into some TYC stock headlights that has lenses with no tint at all. See the difference...

Here's a close-up. The LED halos inside the shrouds are connected to a relay that's fuse tapped into the DRL fuse slot. Works really well.

I probably went overboard with this retrofit. About $600 total, not including the ballasts, which I am reusing from my Mini H1 retrofit. I also went with Philips bulbs because they're much brighter than aftermarket, last longer, and are a true 4,300k. Just a hint of yellow, which is best for Pacific NW weather. You can do a Mini H1 retrofit for around $300 with your stock headlights. You can probably do it for even less and still have headlights that provide much better light than those cheap "halo projector lights."
so dont buy aftermarket smoked headlights?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I got a factory smoked lens I'm using on mine and no complaints still have great light output.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.