Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the hood popped, the wires out... I can do everything easily if only I knew how to get the power cord from the battery to the trunk. I'm going to get started on the other parts of the install, but I'd love to see some pictures / hear how you ran yours. I found one gromet that is wrapped but I don't know how I could get through it because it's really tight. I have a standard, if it makes any difference. On my last car I just rigged my system and ran the power wire through the door because there was plenty of room without it getting rubbed raw or pinched...

anyway. Help I'm in a pinch here and I'd like to get this install done tonight if at all possible!

Videos would be perfect if anybody knows of one specifically for our vehicle. I have an '07 LS, by the way.

·
Registered
455 Posts
you know the battery is in the trunk right?

·
Registered
455 Posts
haha yeah it's right there on the right side. lift up the floor mat in the trunk and in the right hand corner near the bumper its right there.
for future reference, its a lot easier to give advice when we know what kind of system your installing, or what your running wires for lol:bigsmile:

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
haha yeah it's right there on the right side. lift up the floor mat in the trunk and in the right hand corner near the bumper its right there.
for future reference, its a lot easier to give advice when we know what kind of system your installing, or what your running wires for lol:bigsmile:
i think he is hookin up subs

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i folded my seats and too the little plastic piece off by the connector to where the seat locks and there is a metal bolt i undid and i grounded it there.
i can possibly provide pics if you want

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
U can ground it stright to the battery u can also ground it to Chevys factory ground. i grounded mine to the top of the battery termial. there a little nut there tha come off its a 10MM socket well mine was and i grounded it there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
U can ground it stright to the battery u can also ground it to Chevys factory ground. i grounded mine to the top of the battery termial. there a little nut there tha come off its a 10MM socket well mine was and i grounded it there.
You guys rock man... I couldn't ask for faster help in a freaking chat room! I love this place... almost as much as I love my 'balt. ;)

I'll go with the nut on the battery if that's completely safe, sounds like the best way to keep the wires short, as too induce as little noise as possible.

I have Rockford P1 and a p200-2 amp that's 272w RMS, 800 peak... safe to run off the battery without a cap for a while? I plan on getting a cap, just need save the money up to do it.

Also, thanks for offering the picture, I won't trouble you though! I really appreciate the gesture!

·
Registered
455 Posts
just make sure if your running your positive line directly to the battery you get an inline fuse. otherwise if something shorts out your trunk could catch on fire. i knew a kid who had that happen to his Grand Cherokee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol you didn't notice there was no battery in the engine bay when you opened the hood and there wasn't a battery there?
I'll be honest, I'm illiterate with cars. I fix computers for a living, not cars. haha ;) I thought the prong coming up labeled "+" was coming off the terminal of the battery below the fuse box, had no idea till you guys said that. :) Thank goodness I asked!!!

As for inline fuse, got it! It's 40A, is that sufficient, came with the T|M|A kit I'm using. Wish I had my old Rockford kit, but it went with my old '89 Buick Park Avenue. haha Oh well. Also - I'm using 8 gauge, my book recommended 4, but oh well. I'll use what I have now. Should have read the book before I bought 8. haha

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah the 40A fuse should be perfect. dont worry about thinking the battery was in the engine compartment. 80% of the ppl probably did too at first, i know i did. as for being illiterate with cars, that will change quick if you stay on this site.

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
yeah the 40A fuse should be perfect. dont worry about thinking the battery was in the engine compartment. 80% of the ppl probably did too at first, i know i did. as for being illiterate with cars, that will change quick if you stay on this site.
i just got my subs hooked up today and the power wire was bad so i cut the inline fuse out and added to good wire. i use a butt concter to but it all togather worked out really good

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got everything hooked up boys, sounds pretty good! Now on to read some other things and figure out some other projects to tackle with my ride. Got the song "My Ride" by Jeremih playing now, inspiration to mod my ride. :) I'm thinking interior glow is the next project I'll tackle when I get a little money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.