Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
ok if it were i doing this i would start with like 800 or 600 grit. You really dont want to go too rough because you will just scratch the heck out of it. start light and be patient. after u get it pretty much sanded down try using some Filler Primer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Go pick up some denatured alchol from your local Lowes store, and Soak the piece for around a minute, take it out. All the paint will be gone, and you just repaint. I did the same thing with my bowtie :S

·
Registered
14 Posts
i messed up a paint job bad when the plastic piece i'd just sprayed tilted, and thus the paint ran. :notrust: once it's dry, what do i use to get the paint off and try again? sandpaper? if so, what grit?
You had WAY to much paint on that piece. I used to do that when I first started doing my own stuff. Just make sure you do a coat wait 5-10 minutes for it to flash, and then do your next coat. No need to cover the entire piece in one spray. Gonna look good when your done.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go pick up some denatured alchol from your local Lowes store, and Soak the piece for around a minute, take it out. All the paint will be gone, and you just repaint. I did the same thing with my bowtie :S
Goof off takes all paint anywhere off. VERY handy to have if you paint a lot.
hey thanks i'll keep those in mind for when i get to do my plastic trim pieces. which of those two works better, or are both about the same?

You had WAY to much paint on that piece. I used to do that when I first started doing my own stuff. Just make sure you do a coat wait 5-10 minutes for it to flash, and then do your next coat. No need to cover the entire piece in one spray. Gonna look good when your done.
heh yeah i'm a newb at this - i knew to wait 10-15 mins between coats, but i guess i was putting on too many coats each time, hah. thanks for the advice.

i sanded the piece again yesterday and started the process over - i let it dry overnight so i'm gonna check it out again in a few to see how it came out, and hopefully get to do the clear coat today. *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
109 Posts
yea u can find at lowes and dont forget to wet sand it with 2000grit paper inbetween color and clear then 2 coats clear and wetsand

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea u can find at lowes and dont forget to wet sand it with 2000grit paper inbetween color and clear then 2 coats clear and wetsand
yeah it seems so weird to wetsand your paint between paint and clear coats - i'm afraid it's gonna scratch the paint and make it look less nice and make me have to start all over again, heh. but i keep seeing the wetsanding as being recommended, so i'll try it and see.

is it ok to not wrap the sandpaper around a scuff pad or sanding block, and just use your fingers to rub with the sandpaper?

p.s. - today didnt work out time-wise for clear-coating, so gonna try monday

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.