Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not getting a check engine light and my car won't start. Where do I start from here to fix this car?Thanks in advance. I'm not sure if I posted in the correct area I'm just really desperate and I need this car to work. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not getting a check engine light and my car won't start. Where do I start from here to fix this car?Thanks in advance. I'm not sure if I posted in the correct area I'm just really desperate and I need this car to work. Thanks.
Was your car working before? And what happens when you turn the key in the ON position?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was your car working before? And what happens when you turn the key in the ON position?
Thank you so much for answering and sorry for the delay. Yeah the car was working before about 4 days ago and then suddenly I wasn't able to start it up again after I turned it off. However I do have a mechanic coming to take care of it but I wish that I knew what it was beforehand but after some research I believe it was the starter as I'm getting no check engine light and all I hear is a small click noise when I turn the key but it won't turn over. This is also after checking the fuses and making sure that my battery connection was tight and not corroded.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you so much for answering and sorry for the delay. Yeah the car was working before about 4 days ago and then suddenly I wasn't able to start it up again after I turned it off. However I do have a mechanic coming to take care of it but I wish that I knew what it was beforehand but after some research I believe it was the starter as I'm getting no check engine light and all I hear is a small click noise when I turn the key but it won't turn over. This is also after checking the fuses and making sure that my battery connection was tight and not corroded.
It's okay, it was only like an hour later lol. But that's good someone is coming by to have a look. When you turn the key in the ON position, do any other lights pop up? Does your radio work, information screen (like your coolant and such)... Ect

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's okay, it was only like an hour later lol. But that's good someone is coming by to have a look. When you turn the key in the ON position, do any other lights pop up? Does your radio work, information screen (like your coolant and such)... Ect
The lights came on the dashboard accept for the check engine light. But I get interior lights and exterior lights( brake lights headlights Etc).
The mechanic also sanded the leads on the battery to try to see if it was causing a short.

Oh yeah the mechanic came today and installed the new starter but still no start. So I'm going to have to take it to see if the computer needs flashing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The lights came on the dashboard accept for the check engine light. But I get interior lights and exterior lights( brake lights headlights Etc).
The mechanic also sanded the leads on the battery to try to see if it was causing a short.

Oh yeah the mechanic came today and installed the new starter but still no start. So I'm going to have to take it to see if the computer needs flashing?
Okay, so the fact that everything else is working but the CEL, I would definitely suggest getting a digital multimeter, going in the engine bay fuse box, look for the ecm/tcm fuse and the ecm/pcm fuse and check how much voltage you get with the key in the ON position. If you get 12 volts or around it I would possibly consider having to get a new ecm unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so the fact that everything else is working but the CEL, I would definitely suggest getting a digital multimeter, going in the engine bay fuse box, look for the ecm/tcm fuse and the ecm/pcm fuse and check how much voltage you get with the key in the ON position. If you get 12 volts or around it I would possibly consider having to get a new ecm unfortunately.
Ok I'll check that when I can thanks.🙏

·
Registered
24 Posts
Small clicking noise.. sounds like you may need a new battery.. this is however a suggestion (albeit a simple one though) but without knowing the troubleshooting you've done so far this sounds like just a bad battery. Did you test your battery, or try to jump start the car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks it's in the shop I'll keep posting updates on the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and my radio is out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts