Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received my drag dr38 17x7 with hankook tires and put them on my cobalt with a buddy. After driving on them a few days I've noticed a clunking noise when I brake, so I loosened the rims and the retightened them. Now my front left tire clunks when I'm in drive and if I go over 15-20mph the clunking from just the tire turning is very loud. Anybody have any idea why??

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Yep, did you loosen and tighten when wheel was still on the ground? Then rims are off center if you didn't get the proper hub centric rings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought them from discount tire direct online. They came mounted and balanced. All I did was take my steelies off and put these on. Also it only seems to be the one tire. I make the lug nuts loose from the ground, jacked it up, took it all the way off, put it on, put the lugs on (but not super tight) dropped it, and tightened them up. It seemed a little better in my driveway, but I had to leave so I haven't messed with it. I'll see when I get home and put up a picture

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Did the wheels come with centric rings? Did you order centric rings? If I'm not mistaking the dr-38 has a Rim Hubbore of 73mm. The Cobalt hub is 55-56mm. That's quite a gap to fill. You will need these...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, unless they were already on them when they came

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Did the wheels come with centric rings? Did you order centric rings? If I'm not mistaking the dr-38 has a Rim Hubbore of 73. The Cobalt hub is 55-56mm. You need these...
Where can I them? Do you think that the local garage would carry them? Also, if I don't have them for a few days will it damage anything?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Here's a FAQ from the site: Wheel FAQ - Discount Tire Direct

It says they often come with them "built in." and if it's just the one wheel, should I just let the guy at the garage put them on? In just worried about ruining them by Wednesday. Don't wanna toss 1k out the window.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Typically discount and tire rack already have them on for your car. Especially if the mount and balance. I would take it to a discount tire and have them fix it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Typically discount and tire rack already have them on for your car. Especially if the mount and balance. I would take it to a discount tire and have them fix it.
I don't have one around me :/ I have the garage that I get oil changes and inspections done at setting up my TPMS system Wednesday. I just want to make sure they won't be damaged by then

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
From my understanding of what they do then yes, it could damage something. I'm not an expert in that area though, I just bought my rims and tires today.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
This is what I found on the FAQ site you posted:

Q. What are hub-centric rings? Do I Need Them?
A. Hub-centric rings center your wheel on the vehicle's hub.
B. Most aftermarket wheels are manufactured with a center hole that will fit a wide range of vehicles. The hub-centric ring is used to fill any gap that may exist between this hole and the vehicle's hub, thus centering the wheel on the axle. If you have vibrations after installing new wheels, chances are hub-centric rings were not used.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

If it's making noise that means it's slipping on the studs. Jack the wheel in question, loosen the stud, then tighten and torque lugnuts while still jacked-up. 100ft/lbs. That should hold you until you get your hub centric rings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I found on the FAQ site you posted:

Q. What are hub-centric rings? Do I Need Them?
A. Hub-centric rings center your wheel on the vehicle's hub.
B. Most aftermarket wheels are manufactured with a center hole that will fit a wide range of vehicles. The hub-centric ring is used to fill any gap that may exist between this hole and the vehicle's hub, thus centering the wheel on the axle. If you have vibrations after installing new wheels, chances are hub-centric rings were not used.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

If it's making noise that means it's slipping on the studs. Jack the wheel in question, loosen the stud, then tighten and torque lugnuts while still jacked-up. 100ft/lbs. That should hold you until you get your hub centric rings.

I don't have a torque gun, I'll have to use one of my buddy's. Do you have the site for good hub centric rings? I wonder if just using a tire iron isn't working well enough.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Well you should always torque lugnuts to avoid brake rotor warpage.

Who ever sold you the rims would have the proper hub centric ring for their wheels to match your car. I'm totally blown away that they didn't mention this when you ordered the wheels, or were they taped inside the boxes and you never saw them?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said, I ordered them from discount tire direct and I never saw anything about that before. And there's no way they were taped inside. They didn't put them in a box, there was a round piece of cardboard on each side of each wheel. Is there anyway to tell just by looking at the wheel? Could I post a picture tomorrow and have you be able to tell?

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
For sure if you remove the center cap we will be able to see the gap or not....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds good, I'll post a picture tomorrow morning at 8-ish or so. Do you think that it might just be me putting them on for my first time, and not using a torque gun?

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Think you need centric rings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been reading online a bit more...

found these:
Buy Adapter | Motorsport Technology

these:
Wheel Hub Centric Rings - JustForWheels.com

and then on the website here: Wheel Accessories - Discount Tire Direct

it says: "The hub-centric ring kits that we offer are made of the highest-grade materials and are included with your wheel purchase at no additional cost."

I'll look tomorrow, maybe they were already installed. Or I'll call and make them send me a set.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

And in the past 20 minutes I've rebuilt the same exact cart with the same wheels and tires that I have and no where on the screen does it give me the option to add the hub centric rings to my cart. They have to be built in. I'm so pissed. I just want them to work fine.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

And maybe I was unclear about how I found it. At first I heard a clunking noise when I would brake. So today when I got home I took the two wheels off that I thought it could be. The one seems to be fine, or is just overpowered by the other one. Now, when I drive the front driver side is really loud. Maybe I had it too tight when it wasn't centered? I played with it a little bit earlier and then I couldn't hear it, but I didn't go fast. Again, I'll mess with it tomorrow and see.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
At least you now know hub and bore values. 57.1 and 73. They might be on there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, woke up this morning, and there's no sound at all and no vibrations. Want to pm me your email and I'll send you the pictures? My Internet is down and I'm not sure I can post images from my iPhone.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Done!!!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.