Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I have a 2002 cobalt lt 2.2
And sometimes it’ll randomly start hard shifting like VERY randomly and the thing is it mainly happens when I go up hills for longer periods of times it starts to do it more. I know this doesn’t give much explanation but I got the code today P0700 and wondering where should I start

·
Registered
330 Posts
It’s really hard to say what exactly is causing it. Anything from old transmission fluid to a bad shift solenoid can cause it.

How many miles are on the car and what kinds of maintenance have you or the previous owner done to it? Hard shifting can even occur when something as simple as spark plugs need to be replaced. Had this happen on my Cobalt, but likely not what’s wrong with yours.

If there has been no fluid or filter changes on the transmission, it is what is the most likely to have started causing this issue in the first place. Although shift solenoids can become weak and not operate correctly. Sometimes opening or closing partially and causing loss of gear change or strange shifting issues. I’d usually recommend to have a dedicated transmission shop diagnose it though. Sometimes this can be a fairly cheap fix, like less than $400.

Have you looked to see if the transmission fluid is burned or low? This will require you to lift the car, keeping it level. At least to check fluid level anyways. Fluid should be bright red. If it’s a bit brown or very dark red, it needs a change. It should probably have been changed at about 90k miles anyway though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s really hard to say what exactly is causing it. Anything from old transmission fluid to a bad shift solenoid can cause it.

How many miles are on the car and what kinds of maintenance have you or the previous owner done to it? Hard shifting can even occur when something as simple as spark plugs need to be replaced. Had this happen on my Cobalt, but likely not what’s wrong with yours.

If there has been no fluid or filter changes on the transmission, it is what is the most likely to have started causing this issue in the first place. Although shift solenoids can become weak and not operate correctly. Sometimes opening or closing partially and causing loss of gear change or strange shifting issues. I’d usually recommend to have a dedicated transmission shop diagnose it though. Sometimes this can be a fairly cheap fix, like less than $400.

Have you looked to see if the transmission fluid is burned or low? This will require you to lift the car, keeping it level. At least to check fluid level anyways. Fluid should be bright red. If it’s a bit brown or very dark red, it needs a change. It should probably have been changed at about 90k miles anyway though.
I have done a flush recently I work at a multi care shop. And I’m running a little over 200k miles. I haven’t checked my shift solenoids so maybe I’ll start there and do another flush as well. Also I’m going to clean the connectors to the tcm

·
Registered
330 Posts
I’m not really sure if you can test the solenoids operation. I would think they may have to be bench tested off the car. I don’t know if you can get to them with the trans in the car. It’s a tight fit for the cover that goes on the side facing the frame. At that point you might as well thrown a new valve body in there. Maybe a new lock up solenoid also. I don’t mess with too many transmissions, or try not to. Usually I’ll send people to the transmission shop that’s near us since they specialize in the repairs. Although if it’s my own car I try not to have to let someone else diagnose or fix it. I haven’t looked but there may be special function tests on our scanner for the shift solenoids. So if you’ve got a scanner with the capability, might try messing with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not really sure if you can test the solenoids operation. I would think they may have to be bench tested off the car. I don’t know if you can get to them with the trans in the car. It’s a tight fit for the cover that goes on the side facing the frame. At that point you might as well thrown a new valve body in there. Maybe a new lock up solenoid also. I don’t mess with too many transmissions, or try not to. Usually I’ll send people to the transmission shop that’s near us since they specialize in the repairs. Although if it’s my own car I try not to have to let someone else diagnose or fix it. I haven’t looked but there may be special function tests on our scanner for the shift solenoids. So if you’ve got a scanner with the capability, might try messing with it.
Definitely do and I will thank you for that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts