Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to paint my "cobalt" letters and my two chevy badges black but I have no idea what I'm doing and I don't have any spares to practice with. Would it be best to tape them off or take them off the car completely? And when people say to sand them down, does that mean to use sand paper to get all the old paint off or when do I know when it's ready to be primed? What kind of paint do I buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yes, DEFINITELY take them off the car. It is nect to impossible to mask off enough of the car to not get over spray. With sanding the decals all you really need to do is just scuff them up a but so the paint will adhere to them. I would recommend going with krylon fusion paint for plastics. and any clear coat you want.

If you have never painted before practice on something first. make sure you do VERY light coats. I cannot stress that enough. Also make sure you are spraying from about 8 inches away from the item you are painting.

Another thing my dad taught me about painting is stand where you have a broud view, apply a coat to what you can see, move over 90* paint what can see, move over another 90* paint what you can see etc..

·
Registered
610 Posts
what kind of adhesive should i/we use to put them back on?

·
Registered
610 Posts
thanks a lot man :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Lmao!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
i know the front emblem is screwd on is the back one too on tha trunk???? or is it just tape????and i can i use something better than doublesided tape????

·
Registered
610 Posts
i know the front emblem is screwd on is the back one too on tha trunk???? or is it just tape????and i can i use something better than doublesided tape????
the front emblem is screwed in and the back is just some adhesive. double sided tape would be the best way to go unless you want to use gorilla glue or something like that, but it might not lay evenly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.