Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blower motor stopped working all the sudden. I drove for about an hour with the fan blowing the entire time with the a/c running. I cut the car off for about an hour. I came out from one my appointment, turned the fan speed selector to 4, and nothing happened. I tried all speeds, still nothing.
I have since replaced the fan motor and resister. I have checked the fuses that were mentioned in posts that I searched on this forum.
I am getting power to the fan motor plug. I tested the plug with a volt meter while turning on the fan selector knob. I also hot wired the blower motor that I cut out, and it ran. The blower motor is obviously not the problem. I tried two different resistors, and still nothing.
I'm trying to fix this ASAP because I want my wife to have a/c on these 90+ degree days.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have you considered this to be a ground problem? If you have power, but no ground, the motor will not run at all. Also, have you inspected the plug at the blower motor? They are known for burning up or melting. You may actually get power while testing, but it may not contact the pins where it plugs into the blower motor. Also inspect the condition of the wiring to the resistor. I have seen those melt as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered this to be a ground problem? If you have power, but no ground, the motor will not run at all. Also, have you inspected the plug at the blower motor? They are known for burning up or melting. You may actually get power while testing, but it may not contact the pins where it plugs into the blower motor. Also inspect the condition of the wiring to the resistor. I have seen those melt as well.
Thanks! I'll check what you mentioned.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also I was just thinking about when the wire melts, it usually has a high resistance. It may test like it’s got enough voltage. But the amperage is interrupted and slows down. Also can cause a slow running motor in some cases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts