Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, let me just start by saying that i am new here and relativly un-informed when it comes to cars. I drive a 2008 SS Cobalt and this morning i pulled into work and SLIGHLTY hit a curb going no more then a few mph head on (id say 5 MAX). My car then slowly began to idle lower and lower until it died. Now i can start it but it revs up then dies. I let the gas run to just about Empt and this morning before all this happened put a few bucks in on my way to work and had about 1/8th of a tank. I KNOW this was stupid to let it run so low. I am not sure if my hitting the curb had anything to do with it as i have done some research and it seems that my fuel filter may be the culprit or (hopefully not) my fuel pump. I have 28k miles on it and live on a dirt road (which i have heard can cause the fuel filter to need changing alot sooner then normal). Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I know someone who had a similar problem (minus the curb). He thought it was either the fuel pump or the alternator but it turned out to be bad gas! There was too much water in it or something. After adding some HEET to his tank, everything was fine. Your problem seems a bit more serious but I just thought I'd throw it out there, good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! My father actually thinks thats what it is also. I just went back out to try to start up my car and also to check to see if i could hear my fuel pump(which i did). But then my oil light and check engine light came on and the car would start but my rpms would be ALL OVER the place from 2000 to 100 and back and forth. Im gonna try to add a few gallons of gas to my tank with a canister and see if that helps.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Where did you hit at? If you have the 08' SS, then you would be turbo'd, and if you hit a curb in the front, you may have cracked an end tank or the water catch on your intercooler. Are you able to make any boost?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hit in the front but was litterly going 2-3mph, i had to turn into the spot so i was going very very slow. when i rev the gas at idle i do get boost tho.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
hmm ok. bad fuel then. You have to be EXTRA careful with hitting things because of the plastic end tanks on the intercooler. The absolutely LOVE to break. And a replacement intercooler from the stealership is about $900 give or take $20 or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ahh man now you have me worried i cracked something, how fast would you say id have to be going to crack it? I cant say for sure i was going 3mph but it was a spot i had to turn into and i was by no means driving fast. Im really hoping it was bad gas. Thanks for your help.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
If you're making boost, you didn't crack it. If you did crack it, you would have a MAJOR boost leak (obviously), you wouldn't make any boost, you would have a CEL, and you would have a WILD idle. But you said you were able to build boost so you may be ok. I would try to take it on the road and make boost under a load (the correct way to tell if you're able to boost or not), and see what you get.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ugh im thinking i defintly cracked it. My oil light and check engine light come on now and my car will start but my idle is going crazy.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

Put a few gallons of gas in, got it to idle normally after a while. Not making any boost and eventually the car died while attempting to drive it home (luckily right infront of a friends house and rolled into his driveway). Got an error along the lines of no engine power or something like that (sorry i cant recall the exact message, got a little panicky when the car died in traffic). So im thinking definitly the intercooler is cracked from everyting you have told me, thanks for your help.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
That sucks man. You can do it yourself to check it if you'd like. It takes literally 20 minutes at the MOST to take off the front bumper. Take it off and inspect your intercooler. Also, if you DID happen to crack it, I recommend just getting an aftermarket one as the OEM ones are actually more expensive than the aftermarket ones and can't handle as much abuse (as you can see), and heatsoak quicker. I think the Dejon intercooler is the best one for the price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man, Unfortunalty i had it towed to the dealership (not my decision it was my dads, and i dont pay much for the car as it was "given" to me through some unfortunate circumstances this past summer, so i do what im told). Would u recommend that IF it is the intercooler that i tell the dealership to hold off on fixing it and buy an aftermarket one and have it installed elsewhere? The car is still under warrenty but i think its safe to assume if i cracked something by being a space case while parking that its not gona be covered BUT id rather not void the warrenty either by purchasing an aftermarket part. Thanks again

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Well, if it's not covered, then I would still get the aftermarket one. An aftermarket intercooler does NOT void your warranty. If they say it's not covered, get an aftermarket one, and save yourself money and do it yourself man, it only took me about 35 minutes to do mine. It's REALLY easy. You remove your headlights (optional but makes it much easier and it's only 5 bolts), take off your front fascia, remove your IC pipes, remove the 4 IC mount bolts and your stock one is off. Really easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i just talked to the dealer, nothing wrong with my intercooler or anyting, somehow 27 codes went off at the same time and caused the problem, he said hes driven it quite a bit today and its fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i just get a called back and now they tell me the intercooler is cracked, im a bit confused on how they drove it and managed any boost if that was the case.. 810 dollars to fix, are they bullshitting me to steal some money or can they have driving it and managed boost for a bit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.