Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Chevy Cobalt, only 60,000 miles, but who I have some light knocking sound when hitting bumps for over 2 years now, but nothing enough annoying to care about... but yesterday it's like if something suddenly broke and know I have a VERY VERY LOUD knocking sound when the wheel is spinning, like a continuous "KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK" that is faster or slower according to the running speed. I drive home at like 25 MPH yesterday and then check quickly the front suspension for any broken part, but didn't see nothing hanging at the first look.

One thing to consider is this VERY VERY LOUD knocking noise is happening when slowing down only, when I'm speeding up, no noise, when I am braking, no noise neither, but as soon as I release the gas pedal to slow down, the noise is TERRRRIBBLLEEE it's like if I'm knocking with a 20 lb sledgehammer on the car!

I slightly remember a pretty similar issue 10 years ago with my former 2003 Chevy Cavalier and it was a broken stabilizer link bar... I tried to check the stab link yesterday and it doesn't seem to be loose when the wheel's down at least, but maybe as soon as I'll lift the front end, I'll see something nasty?? I also checked for the tie-rod ends, nothing special here. I don't really suspect front brake by the way since everything is brand new (pads/rotor) from 3 months ago.

Any quick clues for me??

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Lower control arm bushing probably came apart and is now hitting metal on metal.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
My old car did this, transmission mount broke. Lift the underwood fuse box and see if the aluminum mount on top of the transmission is shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be your steering column if it sounds over bumpy roads theres a plastic gear inside that wears out is preatty loud and sounds almost like a loud rattling noise coming from front driver side

·
Registered
949 Posts
Could be your steering column if it sounds over bumpy roads theres a plastic gear inside that wears out is preatty loud and sounds almost like a loud rattling noise coming from front driver side
Oh, I bet that's what mine's doing! It's not super loud, but it's a bit annoying on bumpy roads :| Definitely not control arm bushings. Checked those and they're perfect.

Do you happen to know if that gear can be repaired/replaced without replacing the entire column?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.