Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was hoping to get some friendly input on what you guys think I should do about removing these unsightly scratches...

Take a look...

As you can see, I have some pretty serious cosmetic damage to my car's body. Any input you guys have that will help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respect,
AdrenalineMitch

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Some of my scratches look the same, in for advice

Sent from my PG86100

·
Registered
47 Posts
The bumper scratches won't be easy to fix, the paints all gone. Now the other scratches can easily be taking care of by a rotary buffer but if you don't know how to use one I suggest taking it to the pros. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the same problem on my bumper. Big gash due to the accident. No idea how to fix it.

I have to replace my whole trunk next summer due to the accident as well.

Good luck with the fix though.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I've got something similar on my bumper. I haven't found a cheap or easy fix for that yet. A shop quoted me about $275 to fill and paint, and that was too high for me.

There are 3 certain things in life: death, taxes and getting rear-ended by someone who can't drive. The latter should get your bumper back to A1 if you can wait for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all, this topic has been inactive for a while but I'm still in the same position with my severely scratched up bumper.

I was looking online a little, and I came across dupli-color: perfect match. I figure if I use the primer that goes along with the duplicolor: perfect match and then repaint it with the duplicolor paint I might be able to fix this issue.

Anybody out there ever used these products and have any friendly advice/input on whether or not I should do so??

Thanks in advance!
AdrenalineMitch

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I used scratch off on a scratch that was similar to the ones you have that aren't so deep. It didn't remove them, but sire helped with making them a lot less noticeable

2005 cobalt base model coupe

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Ok, as far as the bumper, you're not going to be able to do anything less than use paint (weather touch up or a whole re-paint). If you use the touch up you will need to put it on there, and re-clear coat it (the whole bumper to it's even), and re-wax it. That's the only way to get rid of the scratches on the bumper.

As far as the others, most of those can be taken care of with a good wash/claybar, and re-wax (a couple layers of wax that is). If the scratches are deep, I've found a little trick. ATF fluid. Put some on a rag, wipe over the small knicks and scratches, and it will "fill in" the issues. Dry it completely (basically make sure there isn't any oil residue left), and do a couple of good layers of wax on top of it. will make it look 10x's better than before.

Just my $.02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.