Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 06 cobalt a week ago & it has these ugly body decals down the side. I dont know how long they have been on there. But would there be a paint difference if I took them off? noob :?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It would depend how long they have been there. But I had just taken off my side molding this week (which has been on for almost 3 years) and there was almost no paint difference. You'd be taking a risk with yours since you have no idea when they were put on.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Do a small test spot, clean buff and wax. This will tell you how much fade you have.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^ x2. I took my door molding off of my 05 and someone had obviously bumped that piece becuase there were scratches all around where the molding was. But, the paint underneath was still the same color, you never know and thats why you test.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i took off my badges and trim on my 05 just a week ago and there was a slight difference but i think after a couple weeks in the sun the colors should meet up again lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I can see why you'd want to remove them. Did you try a test spot or is it not yours yet? That paint looks in good shape you should be good to remove them, clean the glue, wash, buff, wax and good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its mine, & not yet... They look like they have been on there for a while, so I think it if I tried to pull back some.. it would take the paint with it. :blink:

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Probably wouldn't take the paint but you will have to be very careful while removing it as to not cut into the clear coat.

Nice fake dual exhaust by the way! I would take that LS badging off for sure!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The paint won't come off. Look at every edge to see if you can find one that has already started to peel, pull it back a 1/4" cut it. Do a buff test to see if paint has faded much. Or around the gas cap maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Holy crap it looks like hell, I'm sure removing the decal will do it some justice. Maybe the old owner wanted it to look fast, what's under the hood?

Is that a stock spoiler?

Sent from my PG86100

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no clue what the owner before me was thinking...
But im pretty sure thats a stock spoiler & everything under the hood is stock.
But ill have to try to take them off this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
good luck man, i'm sure you will restore it to a nice balt!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
First dual twin tip Cobalt I've seen. She's going to look nice. Might have to do something about the window vents too. Maybe paint them to match the car and strip the black decal on the center post maybe.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Honestly, it isn't a bad looking car. The dual twin tip looks actually kind of good but at that point it's probably doing more harm than good on a 2.2

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's probably just a 4-2 system instead of a 4-1 or whatever. I don't know much about exhaust systems (or any other system related to a car, for that matter), but I can't imagine that there would be any noticeable, or even superficial for that matter, difference between the two. Of course, I could be wrong.

The decals should come off without much issue, goo-gone will take care of any residuals or adhesives, and if it's a common color, it wouldn't cost much at all to get a blend done in the event that the paint is different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The twin tip on the right is just there for looks I guess & the right side looks like they put it on the stock exhaust. I didnt buy the car from the last owner so I have no clue what they have done, which sucks.

But I tried to pull back some & it just fell a part. But I took a picture if you can tell the difference.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj638/Kyzerr8D/2012-05-15_16-34-04_429.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
This gives you and idea...

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

That is a big enough spot to do your test. Just remove all the glue then use a paint cleaner with a light buffing agent and you will see if there is any kind of fading. It appears you have very little fading so probably will all disappear after a month in the sun.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.