Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add cruise controll to my 2010 cobalt LT. I'm going to go to a pick a part/ salvage yard to get the parts I need, only problem is I dont know exactly what I need. I know I'm going to get a new wheel with the cruise controll buttons already on it what else will I need to take from the donor car so every thing works properly and looks like it was factory installed?

·
Registered
129 Posts
You need to check with a dealer to see if your computer will accept a cruise control. I tried to add one to mine but my computer was not cruise control compatible.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
So much misinformation in this thread. It IS very possible... I did it in my 07 G5 base when I still had it.

Ok. You do NOT need to change the BCM. Not at all. If you tried the reflash, but the dealer told you it was "incompatable", your car simply didn't have the wiring already done for you, and you just needed to do it yourself (see below)

There are two ways that this can go... the easy way or the hard way... depending on how GM wired your car.

The easy way: GM prewired the radio and cruise wires that go from the clock spring to their respective pinouts on the Radio harness and BCM connectors. If you have a wire populated in Pin 61 of the BCM connector (found in the passenger side fuse panel), then your car is already prewired and all you need to do is buy a Cobalt SS steering wheel matching your model year (2010 would be SS/TC). Simply do the steering wheel swap, plugging the new harness into the clock spring, and then take it to the dealership and play dumb and act like your cruise just suddenly stopped working (Since I believe GM is cracking down on the retrofit jobs). They'll charge you an hour of labor at most to reflash the BCM with the Tech II to turn the cruise feature on. Radio controls should work right off the bat.

The hard way: If you don't have a populated Pin61 in your BCM connector, you will need to obtain the pins in order to add the wire that goes from your clock spring to Pin61 of the BCM. You will need the pin that goes into the clock spring and the pin that goes to the BCM (Get these from a junker). You will need to connect these pins to a wire and make the connection from the clock spring (in the proper location matching the cruise pins on the steering wheel harness) to Pin61 of the BCM connector. Then proceed to do the dealership flash with the Tech II to enable.

Generally, I believe the cars that tend to be prewired are the cars that were on the LT line at Lordstown. The ones that seem to need wiring added usually are the LS/Base cars that have pretty much power nothing.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i'm glad i don't have cruise control, i would be at 90-100mph at all times if i did.
Hell... I do that all the time with cruise control off :laugh:

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
i do that too. but add about 20mph to that everytime i get on the freeway. not the whole time of course. but i like to test my limits with these 2.2L

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The pin 61 seems to be occupied so all I got to do is get a new wheel and have my computer re done ?

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

And would this be the right wheel ? STEERING WHEEL FOR 2010 CHEVROLET COBALT on eBay!
Yep. That should work. If not, you will need to double check the pinouts on the harness that plugs into the clock spring. Sometimes the pinouts change and it just needs fixed.

Again, remember to play dumb at the dealer like your car had cruise all along. As soon as you try and claim it is a retrofit, they'll usually either act like it is impossible to do (Mine did this, and I told them to do it anyways, to which they were surprised when it worked), or if GM is cracking down on this, they'll just flat out refuse to do it.

Also, you can keep your urethane wheel if you perfer that over the leather (I did), and just swap the buttons/harness then re-sell the leather wheel and OEM buttons that came with your car. If you like the leather wrapped wheel, you will need to pull the stock one. You should be able to remove it by loosening the retaining nut (But not completely removing it) and then pulling on the wheel til it comes loose (The reason you keep the nut attached is so you're not eating the steering wheel when it comes off). You'll have to also make sure the clock spring is properly aligned when putting the new steering wheel on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just curious, if you push in the clutch in will it kill the cruise control?

I'm wondering because I was driving my works bucket truck and it was a manual and when I push the clutch in it would rev out. I just assumed it would disengage the cruise control when shifting.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Just curious, if you push in the clutch in will it kill the cruise control?

I'm wondering because I was driving my works bucket truck and it was a manual and when I push the clutch in it would rev out. I just assumed it would disengage the cruise control when shifting.
The clutch position switch will disengage the cruise control, both on stock setups and retrofits.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.