Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ls and it didnt come with the grill inserts for fogs but has the hole and everything for fogs in the front bumper, so i found the inserts online but my question was do i have the wiring already setup for the fogs or would i have to do custom wiring?

thanks.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
This has been asked before but I don't remember the response. Honestly the easiest way to go would be to do a custom job. Just buy the foglights, wire them to a 12v source and then mount a switch. Or you can wire them to your parking lights so they come on with them.

I'm sure someone (coby) will give a more detailed response, but it seems like a fairly straightforward fix...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
The LT came prewired for fog lights, but I'm afraid our poor LS weren't even though some have reported theirs being prewired. To check if it is prewired just remove the little decorative panel with dimmer control to the left of your steering wheel and check if there is a square 4pin connector with 3 wires in it zip tied or taped to one side.

If you do you will still need to acquire the harness that runs from passenger side passing by driverside fog and into the fender well where you will find the mating connector close to the horn. But chances are if it's like mine that you will have to do everything from scratch. Good Luck on the install. Take your time. If you don't know how to take something apart, just ask on here, somebody knows.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I am so confussed. I have an 05 LS. It has fog lights and power everything, everyone talks about LS being the low base model, what gives?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You have and LS with the power package but most LS are base models.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Wow, was not aware! I thought the LT was the base of the base. When I was looking at new rims the site asked if my balt was base or LS which I found strange since it could have been SS!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
2005-2006 LS had 2 packages power and comfort I believe. Then GM changed their approach. Then the XFE.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

It even differs from US to Canada.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
if your car does not have fog lights, buying the inserts WILL NOT WORK. Ive explained this a lot. The fog lights mount on the BUMPER itself NOT the inserts. Swapping them will do nothing as the bumper is completely different and does not have mounting tabs. YOu will need to either get a fog light bumper or SS bumper. I dont want to see another cobalt owner waste there money..

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

EDIT: also in 2005 the LS was the loaded cobalt while LT was base. It was switched in 2006. I had a 05 LS with all the options :)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
No, your bumper only has the wiring but not the mounts for it. You would need to get a diffent bumper or custom fit them in.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
That means i should have the wiring on my 09 LT behind the trim piece woop! I will get a SS front bumper before the world runs out of them. I think it's better to get both front and back though at the same time.

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

i'm looking forward to getting fog lights actually, need to save the right amount of money first.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
shows us the pics of your bumper and we will definitely tell you if you need a bumper that supports fog lights or not.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Honestly, I want my car to be a sleeper so the back bumper may not happen.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You are missing the entire mounting bracket. Woo hoo

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
That looks right. I've never taken mine out though, just the grill inserts. It might look bad ass to keep the inserts you have!

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

Or down right stupid, who knows!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i dont know what im doing yet lol just wanted to see if fogs were possible, but i found the whole ss kit in my area for 300 but i kinda feel what you said a little bit ago about being a sleeper lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.