Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good suggestions for how to get the bolt off of the top of the strut cause I was crankiing the hell out of mine and I couldn't get it to budge

·
Registered
136 Posts
Spray on some WD-40.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You're gonna have to use an impact wrench. When you use just a regular wrench, the interior part spins as well well when the nut is spinning. When you use an impact (even just a battery one will work) it will give it enough tourque to break it loose. That is how I did mine

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yea... ^^^

·
Registered
75 Posts
i used an impact wrench, came right off. or, you'll have to rig something up. if you look inside the stud, there's a star bit hole, and you can get a torx bit (t45) in there. get a wrench around the nut, (obviously from the top, unless you have a recessed wrench that will get on there) or a pair of vice grips. you have to hold that torx bit steady otherwise the whole strut will spin. if you're doing it without hand tools, it's easiet to loosen it a LITTLE bit while it's still on the car. basically, just break it loose, and that's it because obviously if you take the nut off while it's on the car you're going to have a problem.

·
Registered
284 Posts
next time get PB Blaster.... spray on let sit for a while spray again, and remove part (use wrench or impact)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Impact wrench FTW make sure u have a spring compressor for the front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.