Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so most likely this weekend i will be painting the inside trim of the car. i was wondering what kind of paint you guys recommend. im gonna paint it yellow since my car is yellow.

i also was wondering also if anyone can tell me how to get the little square trim pieces off of the steering wheel that are around the controls.

also what pieces would you guys recommend i paint? what looked good in your car when it was done?

:nuts:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Hi!
Well, the paint I use is the Truck, Van, SUV paint from Advance Auto Parts, but idk if they have a yellow, never looked...haha, plus its really good paint, i love it!
I've painted the trim around the radio & under the air bag & under the guages, i've also painted the part that goes around the guages, that's a PAIN to get out from behind the wheel, but if u work @ it enough it'll pop out. Also ive painted the little round vents, one of them is held on by a stupid nut... And i painted the black cover for the side mirror adj. on the doors (mine are manual, so idk if urs would be different).

I've never painted the part on the steering wheel, but I want to... i asked some1 about it & he said he had to tape his off really well & paint them in the car... so idk...

either way, good luck! :)

oh yeah, I always do 2 colors in my interior... so like the part around my guages & on my doors are gunmetal & the rest is blue... but that's me, some ppl dont like 2 colors in an interior, hahaha...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea for sure im gonna do the trim that goes around the radio and the horizontal trim the extends from that piece. i also think i wanna do part of the door.

[/

i love the way these doors look, but dont know if i could do that. might just pain teh piece of trim around the window controls.
my mirror caps are allready yellow and love the way those look. i also saw someone on this board who had some sweet eyelids that gave the car a fierce camaro look

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yeah i love those doors too I remember seein them on CSS.net... oh yeah i know which car ur talkign about, forget his u/n tho... hmmm. I'd love to do my doors that way, but the way my paint is it would be HARD to get it all to match up... unless I just went & paid an arm & leg for GM paint or something, haha

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you should post some pics of your interior id like to see it. also did you just follow the diy from these boards or from somewhere else to paint it

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
krylon fusion 'for plastics' is what a lot of people here use and recommend. also be sure to get a clear coat spray paint.

as for areas to paint, depends on if you are doing one color or two, but the most common starting place is the silver trim along the dash and around the radio and such. after that you can determine what direction you'd like to go paint-wise and you can spread out from there to paint the glove box and middle console, gauges and such a different color if you wish (or same color).

steering wheel pieces - i know i've seen that on here somewhere...i'll try and find it.

someone else out there know off-hand?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Nah... this is something me & my friends have done to cars for years...started doin this when i was in high school (a while ago) when i had my Eclipse, then to my scion tC (RIP), then to my other eclipse (LOL), and now the balt... gonna do an s10 soon. Its just what we do, lower, paint, makin sexyness...been doing it forever seems like, hahahaha... well i dont have any good pix of my interior to post, but check out my thread "YAY" i have some new pix on there of what i just painted last night, lol...OOOR you can go look @ my cardomain page & see what my interior USED to look like, LOL... either way, i should have pix this weekend :)

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
haha well just take ur time & be careful & u should b ok...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I don't like when its done to s10's I have had 5 s10's and I never did it to any of them. In fact I actually had to change my s10 back to stock because it was so ugly.
:laugh:
I like it, but its not my s10 id being doin it to... so... haha

and i havent read the DIY section for it, but im sure you can trust them, alot of ppl on here have followed them, good luck!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Man im so pissed about my trim I just started and 2 of the parts are bubling and cracking as i paint. I prepped the hell out of it and sanded as well with 1500 gritt sand paper. It might be the humidity but the 3 other parts look fine. Blah

·
Registered
653 Posts
Imperfections in paint can be from multiple things. Imperfections can be chips, bubbling or even the famous catseye.

Sprayed on too thick.

Improperly cleaned, you may have left fingerprints or what not.

Bubbles from spraying to quickly, this happens because bubbles shoot out of the can because your going to fast with the can and it builds up in the nozzle.

runs also come from spraying too much.

How I do it is I spray a dust coat, by dust I mean dust literally looks like you only got overspray or something, this helps the paint bond and stick better, then wait a set amount of time depending on surface area and type of surface and paint.

You repeat this process and youll be fine. Dust coats work the best as I have seen. Moving side to side keeping your can lateral to the surface without bending your wrist, spraying only bursts at it, it isn't like a professional sprayer where you would want a constant flow. you want to shoot bursts otherwise you'll end up with to thick of coats and it will look like exactly what your doing, using spray paint. My dad is a used car salesman who does body work on all of his vehicles. I have seen him match every color of paint using only spray cans and you can't tell a difference on a single one. He has taught me everything I know, and to show for it I have some f'in sweet spray jobs.

If need be I can do a "how to". I think a lot of people simply don't know how to properly spray the can. My roommate being one of them, he painted his bowtie on his silverado and it came out poop he did it like a spray gun with the constant motion and got all of the same results as mentioned, I had him sand the whole thing down to a base and we dusted it and it came out like glass!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and i know i asked this allready but does someone know how to get the little square pieces around the steering wheel controls of an 05 cobalt off? i might paint those too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.