Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, friends. This may end up being long. Well as you may know I am in college now for chemistry. I am a sophomore right now... I better lay down the whole backstory lol. ok, I work full time, at a very stressful job to pay my bills. I go to school full time, for a stressful major. I CAN afford the things I have, so it's not a money thing. Well the more I get into school the less I like it. I do enjoy chemistry, but that's it. I am actually a pretty smart person, and I am a very hard worker. I am usually the hardest worker in the room. So I was offered a job that makes a whole lot more money than I make now. It actually pays about the same as I would get after entering the work force after school. So being that I am stressed out, and not really enjoying school I have been thinking about this. I don't want to spend another 2 yearsstudying something I don't enjoy, then possibly not liking it when I get a job and wasting all that time. So I was thinking about trying out this job offer, and IF I DONT LIKE IT maybe going back to school for something else.. possibly mechanics or something. I'm 19, so I have my full life to learn and do new things. This isn't really a money thing, more for happiness. I just wanna hear what you guys, who have faced decisions like this did.. or what you think. I know many people who went to school and don't even have jobs in their field. Or thos who went and regret it.. but I also know those who didn't go and regret it. But my thing is that I DID go, and don't like it. Isn't that what life is about? learning from experience? Please don't give me the "finish or you'll regret it" line.. because if I do regret not finishing.. I can go finish lol. There is no timeline to follow for life, I can go bac when im 50 if I want to. Give me your opinion on WHY i'll regret it if that's the case.. or why you think I should pursue other options.

sorry for the length.. haha.. thanks for the help :nuts::weird::thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
YOU're really the only one that knows for sure. If you're miserable, change path, life is too short. Take that job and night classes or on-line but don't be miserable, You might regret it, then again it might be the best decision of your life.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
you said it yourself, you can always go back, i left college at 18 after the first couple months because i just straight up disliked anything to do with school. Now i'm actually planning to sign up to classes next week since i feel like all that hate has passed and i actually feel like i wanna go for me not for anyone else (it was for parents before). and i'm only 23. I agree with Coby, don't make your life miserable do what you feel is right

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See that's how I feel. I went for my mom. She's like all mad cause I said I might leave school for now. Also the job is in the courthouse. Tax assessment. I'd be making about 40,000ish starting out. If I went for my 4 year degree and got hired as "chemist" I'd make about 45,000/year starting out. Obviously both have room to move up, chemistry being the one to make more after many years. A lady I work with now also works there, but she is getting promoted to chief assessor and there will be openings.. she offered me the spot. She knows my work ethic is good. And then doing that opens more doors later if I decide to leave there.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Also ivwork at a sheetz now making $8.75 and like $15,000 a year. And I have never been late on a bill.. so there is definitely gonna be extra money, and I'd like to invest

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I don't see why my mom is flipping out. I could have my car paid off in no time and just invest my money to make my money work for me. Lol if I do decide I wanna go back to school, there is nothing to stop me

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, same here. My dad makes good money, no degree.. but it's my mom. It's not that she can't have a good job, it's that she never pushed beyond the limit to achieve something

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
that no good job without a degree stopped being so effective years ago, now bachelor degrees look like HS diplomas and masters look like Bachelor degrees

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The purpose of an education is to help you get a job, which is to provide a living. A degree is not a promise of a good job or decent salary. In this economy, 40K for entry level is very good if it's a stable position. If it was me, I would take the job while pursuing your degree on the side. Earning the degree on the side will serve to give you more options if you are displaced from your job. It will also help you with upward mobility in your current position. Use the time and financial security to pursue your educational interests and find things that compliment your position. Heck, your job may even pay some of your tuition.

I am in my early 30's and took the traditional path. I earned my BA and then my MA, and boy did I struggle for a long time. If I could do it over again, I would pursue a marketable skill and get established in a career instead of chasing a piece of paper that comes with no guarantees. Nothing is written in stone. Take the opportunity, and if it falls through, go to plan B.

That's my two cents.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The purpose of an education is to help you get a job, which is to provide a living. A degree is not a promise of a good job or decent salary. In this economy, 40K for entry level is very good if it's a stable position. If it was me, I would take the job while pursuing your degree on the side. Earning the degree on the side will serve to give you more options if you are displaced from your job. It will also help you with upward mobility in your current position. Use the time and financial security to pursue your educational interests and find things that compliment your position. Heck, your job may even pay some of your tuition.

I am in my early 30's and took the traditional path. I earned my BA and then my MA, and boy did I struggle for a long time. If I could do it over again, I would pursue a marketable skill and get established in a career instead of chasing a piece of paper that comes with no guarantees. Nothing is written in stone. Take the opportunity, and if it falls through, go to plan B.

That's my two cents.
Very well said. I'm going to let my mom read this and see what she thinks.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm talking to the last who offered me the job tonight. She said before that I'd probably start in January, which would be perfect cause the semester ends in December. I decided I'm gonna try to do the job, and do school on the side part time. I'll talk to her tonight and see how it goes

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm talking to the last who offered me the job tonight. She said before that I'd probably start in January, which would be perfect cause the semester ends in December. I decided I'm gonna try to do the job, and do school on the side part time. I'll talk to her tonight and see how it goes
Good luck and hopefully congrats on the new job!

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She told me she will go look what she can do, and then she'll get back to me tomorrow. She said there are a lot of open positions there right now, so hopefully I can get in. If not, I have lots of other options

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Also..thank you. I like knowing I can always rely on my yc family to help me out with anything :)

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Bet you your mom doesn't like us much at this moment though....

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I let her read stratos reply, and she agrees now lol she said she thought I was going to quit school all together, which was on my mind.. but I've decided I want to do part time on the side. She said that would be a good idea, then I could help out with more bills if they need it.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

I would like to pay for the internet bill, since I'm pretty much the reason we need high speed... For my online maths

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.