Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 cobalt and I recently hit a raccoon causing my radiator to crack and my engine to overheat. I didnt realize that I had a crack but did have the cooling mode on flashing at me on the dash. I kept driving the car after a put a gallon on coolant in it. I drove it hot for another few miles and the car started losing power then just stopped and hasn't started sense. When I the. The key the timing chain spins and is cranking but the car just doesn't turn over. The oil is not milky indicating a blown gasket, but the engine just won't start. I have changed the cam sensor and all my spark plugs, but the car still won't fire. Any ideas? A mechanic has said that the car is turning but it just isnt firing. So idk what the problem is. The oil is a little low also it is a little burnt but nothing too terrible.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Your talking about a radiator shroud?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
A milky oil isnt the only thing that indicates a blown head gasket. You could have enoigh coolant in your cylinders to foul out the plugs. Pull the spark plugs out and shine a flashlight down the spark plug hole into the cylinder. See if you have a lot of coolant in there.

With the loss of power and then just stopping, it sounds to me like the head gasket popped.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

But as far as it not starting, there could be a lot of things that would cause it not to start : CPS, CAS, ICM, couls, timing,vacuum leak, bad plugs, cracked engine parts, burnt/melted wiring, ect.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Re-read my response.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Check all the fuses related to engine, especially ignition 1 voltage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.