Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I know that people have asked this already but I'm scratching my head and racking my brain over this one. My car, the 2009 cobalt lt 2.2, requires 5 quarts of oil. I put exactly 5 quarts in, yet it's reading too high on the dipstick. Like, over the top of the dipstick. I've always used 5 quarts and never had this problem. Whaaat the hell man?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
When you drain the oil your never going to fully get out the entire 5 quarts. I usually just measure how much oil came out and fill it up with new oil to the same measurement of the old oil.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You should never pour in 5 quarts all at once. I usually put in 4 then start the engine, let it run a few minutes, turn it off wait a few minutes for the oil to drain to the pan then check it. Add accordingly and check it again. Then check it again the next day after it's been sitting for a while.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you're just a bit over no. 1/2 a litre would be the limit though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
my 2.2l cobalt takes roughly 4.5 quarts to read full, I find the back of the dipstick is easier to read also.

I would always suggest draining off exccess oil also, the bottom of the crank can hit the oil if its too full and slosh it into a foam, and air bubbles dont lubricate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm gonna be changing my oil after I'm done at the gym. It'll be my first time changing it since I've gotten it back in September. What oil should I use? I have an 09' cobalt 2.2L with 80k miles

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
5W30. I use synthetic, but dino oil is fine also.
I would use full synthetic with the 09 because of the cam actuator. It's not much more because you can run it twice as long, plus the electronic oil timer is set for synthetic if you go by it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So use 5w30 synthetic blend? And where is the oil filter on the cobalt? Cause I know when I had my 05 Chevy Cavalier, i had to unscrew it from under the hood.
Thanks for the advice guys! You guys are awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.