Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm impressed with the horsepower figures I'm seeing coming from different platforms of the Eco-Tec engine........but I was wondering if anyone is running or has plans to swap a Pontiac Gran-Prix GXP engine in a Cobalt?? Its a 5.3 V8 and is also FWD but I'm not sure if this engine could be mated to a 5-speed or not....if a 5.3 can be shoe-horned in the engine bay I may consider this swap.....I know where a smashed 2005 GXP is......I would imagine torque-steer being a problem but man the pull on this engine bolted inside a Cobalt must be serious.......Any suggestions are appreciated...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the smashed GXP cost $600..from the junkyard, so parts wise I should have everything needed to perform a swap minus tranny/engine mounts.....I might look into this swap once I find an SS four door.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well fill me in...what else could possibly be needed??? A friend of mine owned two Cobalts and he works at a dealership as a tech.....

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Im thinking $2,500 tops for this swap considering me and a friend can perform this swap flawlessly and with a donor car already , buying a ton of new parts should be limited...if you have any more input to this by all means dude....

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
the hubs and axles will bolt right up to the ss/sc knuckles, and the tc knuckles except the tc knuckles will only mate to brembo calipers. the cradle will need modification, no big deal. the engine and trans mount will most likely need to be re located on the frame rails. the oil pan might sit too low, or too high, or it might not fit at all. grab a junk yard cradle from a cobalt and try it out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx, for the input dude......I figured it would fit since the Pontiac and the Cobalt are kinda shaped the same and the cars aren't that different in overall size so.....who knows, we'll see.....Im hoping the pan doesn't sit to low since I have plans on lower the car not much because 19's are the size rim I want to run.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah Im thinking I might need two Cobalt cradles, in case I have to hack one completely to shreds....Im gonna have some trouble sourcing wrecked Cobalts though......

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Thanx derrbalt...it's just a thought I dont even know if this is gonna work, Im might get all the way up to installing the engine and run into an impossible..so we'll see......I have to find a SS four door first and see what 5 speed/trans I can run with this engine

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

I plan on taking a serious dump on any Honda/ WRX/ EVO whatever number/ and especially SRT4's........

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Dude, do it! Then make it look as stock as possible and badge it ad an LS! You'll be an uber sleeper!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:laugh: yeah.......its just a thought guys we'll see...Its been I plan of mine for a while.........

If this dream can come true I will post a build thread, so more of my new family members can destroy just about every sports car out there with me!!!!! Chevy power to the fullest!!!!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i found a junkyard cradle for 175 bucks when i smacked up my wheel on a curb. just be sure to measure a lot. they are delicate stamped steel and the threshold is 3mm. if it's out of square by 3mm might as well kiss your tires and alignment goodbye.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice...where'd you find that cradle????......where do you live you seem like you know alot about Cobalts....

·
Registered
141 Posts
i actually thought about something along the lines of a...3.8 V6 out of a grand prix? or a 3.1 you get the point. haha a built GM V6 would pull a lil cobalt too, and better mpg, and its smaller to work with.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My boy welds so I was thinking of running either Flowmasters or Borla mufflers, for a Corvette/ Camaro SS....she'll sound pretty mean..I in my opinion..

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
the 3.8 supercharged would be dope.
i'm from long island new york. got the cradle from a local junk yard that delivers to the body shop i worked at. i've been modding my cobalt for about 2 and a half years now. broken and fixed just about everything so i sorta learned the hard way lol.
your boy should teach you how to weld because if you plan on undertaking something like this you're gonna have to. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You gotta good point with the size of the engine thing..but it hit me not too long ago grabbing a dash for a friend Civic last week when I saw the GXP all smashed up at the junkyard.....that engine in a Cobalt would rip.......if it doesn't work then i was thinking of going with a Gran National build....

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

yeah, but he's gonna be there with me on this build so...But i do want to learn though........

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Im from Jerzee dude if this build actually goes down we can link up and I'll let you take it for a spin! Just leave me your car keys!!!! hahahahaha

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i think the v8 thing would work. it's original. it's still fwd but there's a few rwd cobalts around with straight up bbc's and big rears and giant slicks and that's no fun. this is something that makes use of the factory cradle which i like a lot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, and thats the exact treason why I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw that smashed GXP...V8 fwd can use performance parts for Corvette or Camaro SS.......this is gonna be fun dude..

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.