Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having an issue once the cold weather started to set in. If it was cold outside and the car cooled down it was difficult (and sometimes even impossible) to get into gear. The odd part about this is that once the car got up to temp. it would stop and drive normal.

I went to the dealer in Michigan (where I go to school) and, seeing that I only have 750 mi left on my warranty told me that my clutch was gone. However, when I asked the tech how he had arrived at this conclusion he told me that he was just guessing base on the symptoms, but that he was “usually pretty good at guessing”. I asked him what needed to be replaced and he told me, “uh, the clutch plate, a cylinder, and fluid”, to which I responded, “I’m assuming you mean the pressure plate and the slave cylinder, correct?” He said he didn’t know, but that the computer just said clutch plate and a cylinder.

Now, if you look at some of the symptoms, his conclusion is a bit flawed. First of all, a clutch issue would get worse as it warmed up, not correct itself. Additionally, most of the time when I clutch begins to go it starts slipping first, I have not experienced any clutch slip. Lastly, one of the symptoms is that the engagement point is very low (almost at the floor) until the car warms up. Again, if the clutch was worn then the exact opposite would be true.

I checked clutch/brake fluid and it looked fine. Now it got up to 60* here in NY today and I’ve had no problems. Anyone have any idea what this could be or what I should try to do to fix it?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm assuming you have an SS/SC? If that is the case chances are it's just drivers error. It's a common problem actually. The fix is to never shift before 3k RPMs and to make sure that when you are shifting from 1 to 2 that you aren't slipping or spinning the tires.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mine does that but it's just a "cobalt thing" like sometimes its hard to get into first and reverse. I've talked to a couple people about it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Do you drive you car on a daily basis ?...Second off my car sometimes has hard time too...The tranny needs to warm up to the same temp as the motor so there for i take it easy for the first few minutes and normally before i start the car i push the clutch in and push it through all gears a few tims then start the car .

·
Registered
575 Posts
Chester what's up haven't seen u on here in a awhile. How was ur break?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It has been great ...i just got a new laptop yesterday so you will be seeing alot more of me .haha

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good stuff man!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yea...wish i had monwy for mods but just had to pay tuiton the other day for this next semester starting in 7 days

·
Registered
575 Posts
Gotcha where do u go to school? I had to pay rent and fraternity dues so IO'm broke :(

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Last semester at local community college then transfering either somewhere down south or up north more ...i like it down south but dont know if i can give up snowboarding ...decisons decisons

·
Registered
575 Posts
lol dude I would give anything to live in a warm climate. It was 68 today in cinci tho figure that one out. But I guess we need to get back on topic. Sorry for going off on a tangent.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yea...thats what i said , Cause the tranny needs to warm up too

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mine does it when the tranny is warm. i really think just some balts do it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just don't think it should be necessary to let the car warm up for 30 min just to be able to drive it. I guess it's just another one of thos joys of owning a cobalt

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
mine does it too, it's all because the fluid in the transmission is cold, now i cant attest for the other guys here having the problem constantly, but that's what my problem is

ftr: i changed the clutch, and now it;s hard to get it into first or reverse from a stop........solution, try bleeding the clutch(slave cylinder), that may help the "other guys"

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I always allow the car to warm up to normal op temp. that doesn't resolve the tranny issue however. If it were that easy it wouldn't be a problem

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.