Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings to all from Charleston WV. On here to learn more about the common problems and weak links in Cobalts that I should be watching for. For example, I am currently driving a Neon (please hold your applause and/or boos) and most Neon owners know that your tail light gaskets will leak, your motor mounts will fail, and your return oil passages in the head are too small causing oil to build up under the valve cover and starve the lower end because it can't drain back quick enough. Three under-engineered items that 80% of the people learn to fix before they created a problem.

Also hope to find an SS turbo sedan for sale. Must have limited slip option. Anywhere in the USA.

Tim Maddox

·
Registered
195 Posts
I take it it's a base model neon? what year is it because I haven't had a problem with tail light leakage or known anyone that has. Neon engines do like to move alot under WOT and motor mounts do fail, but put in polyeurathane inserts will fix that for real cheap.
Welcome btw.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Greetings to all from Charleston WV. On here to learn more about the common problems and weak links in Cobalts that I should be watching for. For example, I am currently driving a Neon (please hold your applause and/or boos) and most Neon owners know that your tail light gaskets will leak, your motor mounts will fail, and your return oil passages in the head are too small causing oil to build up under the valve cover and starve the lower end because it can't drain back quick enough. Three under-engineered items that 80% of the people learn to fix before they created a problem.

Also hope to find an SS turbo sedan for sale.
Tim
I don't know how much luck you'll have finding a Sedan...I had a hard time finding a SS Coupe. I just picked mine up in Cross Lanes about a month ago...Cobalt SS's main issues are all under warranty...the main things I can think of....key lock cylinder, power steering, charge pipe...I went from a 60,000 mile base sedan to my 30,000 mile SS and I'm not really having any problems, nor did I on my other Cobalt...

goodluck with the search and welcome to YC,

-Duffy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Welcome to YC.... I like the sedan.. the way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it it's a base model neon? what year is it because I haven't had a problem with tail light leakage or known anyone that has. Neon engines do like to move alot under WOT and motor mounts do fail, but put in polyeurathane inserts will fix that for real cheap.
Welcome btw.
No its a 98 ACR - Actually the tail light problem was more prevalent with the second generation. I did put in prothane motor mount inserts (in new stock mounts) and a new Mopar performance bobble strut. Also, rear brakes (non-ABS cars) grab too much under autocross and track conditions, and short of installing a manual proportioning valve, everyone puts high performance pads on the front with organic stock pads on the back to deal with that. I doubt a Cobalt would have that problem, but those are the little things you learn after a while.

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

Cobalt SS's main issues are all under warranty.. power steering..
goodluck with the search and welcome to YC,
-Duffy

Thanks Duffy - didn't the power steering get revised with the 2008 models?
I thought most of the issues and recalls were for 2006-2007

·
Registered
195 Posts
you have to get your post count above 35 to view and access the marketplace area

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you have to get your post count above 35 to view and access the marketplace area

Since I have a lot to learn and not much to contribute until I learn more, I read more than post. I don't like to stretch out good discussion threads with a useless "good job!" or "looks sweet", but apparently I have to do that 35 times before I can read what cars are for sale? Seems like there should be a more efficient way to get additional potential buyers access to sellers, and to keep the posts streamlined to only helpful remarks.

I guess its 34 posts left after this one......

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
You got 5, 30 more to go! Welcome to the forum man!

What type of SS are you looking for? I know the SS/TC sedans are VERY rare, only like 500 were made.

As far as pointless posting, don't worry about it! Just remember that posts in the off topic section don't add to your post count. Check out the show off areas and check out and comment on peoples cars. You can vote for and comment on the YCOTM contest (hehe) and you can search thru the problems and service section to see what kind of problems people have been having with their balts. You can also check out the chevy cobalt owners lounge and check out the showoff threads in there. There are plenty of places where you can comment that a simple 'awesome' would be appropriate!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, as you say there aren't many sedans so I will consider anything that comes up. But my preferences are white, blue or silver, with the LSD but without a sunroof. Probably will take forever to find that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
i have a sedan but its an LS and its a great car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, must be an SS sedan, and I am not limited to WV. I will consider a car anywhere but Alaska and Hawaii. Bought a car in Denver once, fly out, drive home. Got to see antelope, a Kansas state trooper and lots of rest areas. Trips are always interesting!

·
Registered
505 Posts
yeah me too

·
Registered
505 Posts
i like hawaii..been there only once though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.