Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy 35watt 5000k hids and am wondering if its safe to put hids and get good light output on the stock housing till i get projectors

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay it answers the question that they are fine, but another question are the 9007 hid bulbs interchangeable with 4th gen projectors?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Stick with your halogens for now. Don't buy aftermarket projector headlights either. They, simply, don't perform very well and aren't mean for HIDs. If you want something that's better than your stock headlights and still looks good, go with this.

Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Please, just do it right the first time!! Some HID kits, like DDM tuning don't give you a proper high beam and just plain blind the everliving piss out of oncoming traffic. The light isn't focused at all.

Also, the 9007 bulbs will not fit in the 4th Gen Depo projectors. I believe they take the H7 bulbs. The kit I just linked you takes an H1 HID bulb. They're bi-xenon, which means a shield flips down to let more light out above the cutoff to give you your high beam.

I'm just trying to save you some trouble here. If you like the look of the 4th Gen Depo projectors, you might be able to retrofit the Mini H1s into them. Then you can have ultra-high beams since you'll have the bi-xenon and the halogens. This is something I wouldn't mind trying someday.

·
Registered
90 Posts
^^The Retrofit Source ftw.... I have Morimoto, MH1 retrofit which I did myself... it's wicked. Painted everything black, did it all myself and IMO it looks better then the aftermarket projectors.... But, I can't say anything negative about BuyHIDs because I've never owned anything from them or dealt with them, so perhaps somebody else can comment on their quality

·
Registered
90 Posts
sorry, I kind of didn't address the OP's original question... yes you should be fine putting HIDs in your stock housings, a lot of people do it. I had 4300K D2S bulbs in my stock housings for a year with VVME ballasts, never had a problem

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i read up on retrofit cuz i was thinking of doing those in the first place! but they are not plug and play and I don't wanna have to rotary cut my headlight to fit the retros! they look really nice, i wonder if theres professionals that will do it for me, because i simply do not have time to do it and don't want to have to end up buying a new headlight

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

oh and another thing where should i buy my hids online? my friend referred me to ddm tuning and considering u said they were no good, someone please give me a good site

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
BuyHIDs retro fitted the ones I got and they work great. I never started with the stock housing though. I bought the gen3 projectors with 6000k bulbs. I have the 8000k as back up but dont like the blue color. they are angled so ppl dont flash me unless its raining or foggy (all the light refracts so not my fault).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BuyHIDs retro fitted the ones I got and they work great. I never started with the stock housing though. I bought the gen3 projectors with 6000k bulbs. I have the 8000k as back up but dont like the blue color. they are angled so ppl dont flash me unless its raining or foggy (all the light refracts so not my fault).
so what you did is basically bought aftermarket and replaced projectors with retros?

·
Registered
90 Posts
you use projectors in a retrofit... that's why it's a retrofit, because your installing your projectors in the housing

·
Registered
477 Posts
i read up on retrofit cuz i was thinking of doing those in the first place! but they are not plug and play and I don't wanna have to rotary cut my headlight to fit the retros! they look really nice, i wonder if theres professionals that will do it for me, because i simply do not have time to do it and don't want to have to end up buying a new headlight

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

oh and another thing where should i buy my hids online? my friend referred me to ddm tuning and considering u said they were no good, someone please give me a good site
BuyHIDS can solve both those problems

9007 HID Kit

Retrofit Headlights

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

PM us we can set you up with a great deal. Also our Bi-Xenon kits have a proper high beam unlike DDM and others.

Also our retrofit headlights are plug-n-play right out of the box.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PM us we can set you up with a great deal. Also our Bi-Xenon kits have a proper high beam unlike DDM and others.

Also our retrofit headlights are plug-n-play right out of the box.
no modding of stock headlight? that leans me towards retrofitting if thats true

·
Registered
90 Posts
your misunderstanding what retrofit means.... BuyHIDs will do the retrofit for you on another set of lights.... so really your leaning towards getting your retrofitted lights from buyHIDs.com

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
your misunderstanding what retrofit means.... BuyHIDs will do the retrofit for you on another set of lights.... so really your leaning towards getting your retrofitted lights from buyHIDs.com
OHH i thought u buy the retros yourself and do the retrofitting yourself *facepalm* that makes sense now! you buy the headlights already retrofitted:)

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Multiple avenues can be persued. You can retro fit your stock housing, you can purchase a style you like and have it retro fitted, or you can buy a set that a co. sells such as BuyHIDs with the housing already fitted. Not all companies do it for you, they could just send a kit; also not all styles are held by every co.

My style, the gen3 were purchased elsewhere and sent to BuyHIDs to be fitted. Lots of options!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Multiple avenues can be persued. You can retro fit your stock housing, you can purchase a style you like and have it retro fitted, or you can buy a set that a co. sells such as BuyHIDs with the housing already fitted. Not all companies do it for you, they could just send a kit; also not all styles are held by every co.

My style, the gen3 were purchased elsewhere and sent to BuyHIDs to be fitted. Lots of options!
thanks i was on buy hid just earlier and got something priced for retrofitted headlights that came to a whopping 520$....yikes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.