Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys quick question.. with HID lights do i just buy the bulbs or do i have to buy a conversion kit first?? thanks

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
conversion....or you can get those fake hid bulbs...i used to have sum n they were legit, theyre like 30 buks at pepboys lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
conversion....or you can get those fake hid bulbs...i used to have sum n they were legit, theyre like 30 buks at pepboys lol
Disregard everything he said.

HID kit is a "conversion" kit... even though you're really not converting anything. The kit comes with 2 bulbs, some wiring and 2 ballasts. You hook up your original plug to the ballast. The ballasts are needed there to produce enough power to power up the HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs. Bulbs go into the headlights just like any other bulb would and then the wire from it goes to the ballast. The hardest part of the installation is to find somewhere to mount the ballasts, other than that, it's a piece of cake.

DO NOT waste your time and money on stupid fake xenon bulbs from pepboys while you can get a single beam kit for about the same price from vvme.com. Personally I'd recommend the hi-lo kit so you don't lose your high-beam feature (will be needed to pass inspection) and the HID hi-beams are awesome when you're on backroads and need to light up the area.

Also I'd suggest going with 6000k if you're using stock headlights for the maximum light output and less color (more lumens and less ricer looking).

The higher the kelvin temperature the less lumens and the more color HIDs produce.

·
Registered
600 Posts
clears it up for me too lol, but i think im gonna buy halos and all that fun stuffff

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Disregard everything he said.

HID kit is a "conversion" kit... even though you're really not converting anything. The kit comes with 2 bulbs, some wiring and 2 ballasts. You hook up your original plug to the ballast. The ballasts are needed there to produce enough power to power up the HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs. Bulbs go into the headlights just like any other bulb would and then the wire from it goes to the ballast. The hardest part of the installation is to find somewhere to mount the ballasts, other than that, it's a piece of cake.

DO NOT waste your time and money on stupid fake xenon bulbs from pepboys while you can get a single beam kit for about the same price from vvme.com. Personally I'd recommend the hi-lo kit so you don't lose your high-beam feature (will be needed to pass inspection) and the HID hi-beams are awesome when you're on backroads and need to light up the area.

Also I'd suggest going with 6000k if you're using stock headlights for the maximum light output and less color (more lumens and less ricer looking).

The higher the kelvin temperature the less lumens and the more color HIDs produce.
wow you know everything don't you

·
Registered
121 Posts
While you can get a single beam kit for about the same price from vvme.com. Personally I'd recommend the hi-lo kit so you don't lose your high-beam feature (will be needed to pass inspection) and the HID hi-beams are awesome when you're on backroads and need to light up the area.
Can you even pass inspection with HIDs and stock housings?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
lol here everyone has em and we dont have much inspection unlesss your car is over 10yrs and being sold to someone. Dont even think they would care if you had HID's or not.

I ordered the 8000k ddm hi/lo kit, should be here tomorrow or tuesday YAY! Ill post pics.

·
Registered
462 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
lol here everyone has em and we dont have much inspection unlesss your car is over 10yrs and being sold to someone. Dont even think they would care if you had HID's or not.

I ordered the 8000k ddm hi/lo kit, should be here tomorrow or tuesday YAY! Ill post pics.
ddm?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I got mine from vvme.com and it's about the same price.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
No color, went with 6000k. And the housing is stock but painted flat black. I personally don't like any other kelvin temperature of HIDs in stock housings because after 6000k they start producing more color than actual light. If you want to go with colored HIDs, get projectors.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I also have the DDM tuning HIDs in stock housing, I've got 5000k though, totally worth the money. I love them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We carry the Plasmaglow HID kits. These are extremely high quality kit. They are very user friendly unlike some less quality kits. I am currently using them on my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix and my 2003 Chevy Cavalier. I am very happy with the quality and longevity. I have had them on my daily driven Grand Prix from 2 years in summer and winter. They are about $145 shipped depending on what bulb size you need. These only come in 8000K.

·
Registered
462 Posts
No offense but when I can get a kit for 1/3 of that price with little less quality and enough warranty to replace anything... enough said.. haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.