Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know "another hid thread"

I have a 2007 cobalt LS. I am wanting to spice things up with my car ;)

A few people have recommended me VVME to order them!

Search Results : VVME.COM, Tattoo Kit, Xenon HID Kit, DVR Surveillance System & Projector

I am going to go with the Hi/Low so probably thinking of the
Digital Slim 9007-2 HID Conversion Kit [VVME-HKD97-DSL] - $41.99

Do I need to buy the extra 10 dollar relay harness?

I guess I am going with 6000k's.... So this means my day time will be 6000ks and my brights will just stay normal or how does this work since our bulb is the same hi/low?

ALSO. Should I go 6 or 8? I want the blue look but not so blue that I cant see anything... Will the 6000k's at 12v have a blueish tint to them?

I'v wanted these forever so I am finally going to order them just wanting to get last minute advice!

Also. I am putting them in stock headlights for now... Dont plan on keeping mine too much longer but its probably going to get passed down ;) So please no "it will glare blah blah"

Quick Recap.
Are those the right ones to buy?
Do I need the relay?
Will 6000k's have a blue tint.

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
41 dollars is awfully cheap..
It's probably a crappy set of bulbs and ballasts.
I 100% recommened Hidwerks.com, they have high quality bulbs and warrantys.

The relay harness will help,
I have 6000k 55 watt HID's on my car, and it is blue with a hint of white, I love them.
8k is way to blue, and you start getting into just the looks instead of actually being able to see farther.

I have my HID's in my stock housing...
of course they're bright as F*$%, I honestly could give less.

Defintely check out HIDwerks.com
buy 6000k 55 watts
and spend the extra money on the relay!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hidwerks is way more than I really want to spend... I have heard nothing but good reviews of VVMe though, like I said I plan on upgrading to an SS in the near future.. But just want to add some style to mine now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-.- I know, but I just want some HIDS now and worry about that when the time comes.. Plus when I get my SS id go Halos anyway.. So they wouldnt fit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These aren't "CHEAP HIDS" there are a few members who have theirs and will straight tell you their products are good... So enough with the "Cheap hid crap" and just answer the few questions that I have..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes, they are quite literally the definition of cheap HID's. They are HID's that don't cost much money. Some people may have good luck with them but you get what you pay for. Yes, it is the correct bulb size. As stated previously, 6k is blue-white, 8k is blue. Since they are, *cough cough*, not that expensive, it is likely they will flicker without a relay, I would suggest it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Kmac, you can't necessarily say that if you buy cheap HID's you'll have a bad time. I've had a $50 HID kit in my car for the past 8 months and they still haven't had any problems. Fine visibility as well. Had them in my mazda without any problems as well as had a morimoto kit in it. Only difference I saw between expensive vs, cheap is the fact that the morimoto warmed up quicker as well as was a little brighter. I've had "cheap" HID's in every car of mine for the past 4 years and haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kmac, you can't necessarily say that if you buy cheap HID's you'll have a bad time. I've had a $50 HID kit in my car for the past 8 months and they still haven't had any problems. Fine visibility as well. Had them in my mazda without any problems as well as had a morimoto kit in it. Only difference I saw between expensive vs, cheap is the fact that the morimoto warmed up quicker as well as was a little brighter. I've had "cheap" HID's in every car of mine for the past 4 years and haven't had a problem yet.
Some people may have good luck with them but you get what you pay for.
I don't know what else to say. Listen, I'm not against bargains but I don't want the style until I can afford something that will be reliable, especially when it comes to seeing the road at night. With my luck, both ballasts would blow at the same time then I'd be out light. This is my opinion. What you are stating is your opinion and experience. Take it as you will.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
JUst check if the arc is AC or DC. AC are brighter and last longer because of the alternating currents on the anode and cathode. Both turn on and light up the road, both last as long as they are wired properly. If you want to keep your DRLs, you will need the relay harness, so you don't end up with a low voltage on the input of the ballast. Read the instructions fellows, read!!!!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I don't know what else to say. Listen, I'm not against bargains but I don't want the style until I can afford something that will be reliable, especially when it comes to seeing the road at night. With my luck, both ballasts would blow at the same time then I'd be out light. This is my opinion. What you are stating is your opinion and experience. Take it as you will.
Agreed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If he isn't willing to spend more than $50 for just pnps, he definitely won't be spending the $$ for a real retro.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
-.- I just want to know what ones to buy off that site and if I need ballasts...

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

I mean relay harness

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Check out theretrofitsource. I got my kit for about $140 and it's very good quality. A relay, in my opinion is a wise decision. I know you want to go cheaper, which is always tempting, but buying it twice is never cheap.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was just giving my opinion.
Lower quality HID's will fade quicker and/or not last that long.
I bought HID's off eBay, 2 weeks later, went from white to blue and then out of no where my bulb went " pop "
Honestly, spend the money now and get it over with..
And even if you do get an SS with halos, you can sell the HID kit, I'm sure someone will buy it.

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
I have cheap hids in mine, I like them. Much better than stock, but I have projectors. I'm sire there is a huge difference between my cheap ones and quality though. I mean, if you have the money buy quality, and you would be able to sell them for a good bit of what you pay. The cheap ones will go to waste after you get halos.

2005 cobalt base model coupe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.