Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 10K hids in my stock headlights, and 30k in the fogs, but i was thinking about getting halo projectors but i dont want to waste all the money i spent on the hids... will the HIDS work with the projectors or will they not work with the new headlight halo projector lights? plzz help

·
Registered
350 Posts
You will not be able to reuse those bulbs in your projectors. Also, those "halo projectors" are designed for halogens and seem to have a poor beam pattern. You'll get much better results by retrofitting Bi-Xenon projectors into your stock housing. When you do get new bulbs, stick to 4,300k. A good set of projectors will have a nice color band at the cut-off anyway. Also, HIDs in fogs is pointless. That's WAY too much light up close to the car. A lot of light up CLOSE is BAD. That hinders your ability to see in the distance. Although, I think halogens are brighter than 30,000k HIDs anyway. But stay away from the blue/purple light. Trust me. If you have, at least, the Mini H1 Bi-Xenon projectors and use 4,300k bulbs, people in the distance will see your lights as blue/purple. That's called "color flicker" and it's just awesome. Ricers use blue bulbs in their halogen housings to try to replicate that. Yeah, just dumb.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in the head lights i have 10k, size of the bulb itself im not sure of and for the first comment, im kinda confused how is a 4,300 even bright or even blue/purple at all at that low of a "k"

·
Registered
350 Posts
The higher up in Kelvin you go, the dimmer the light output. 4,300k bulbs have a slight hint of yellow, but mine have color shifted to pure white after 1 year. The blue/purple color with projectors is caused by the light bending around the cut-off shield.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
to answer your question

the HID bulbs you have in stock housings (size 9007) will not work in any aftermarket headlight, but the ballasts will... so the simple solution to your problem would be to just buy the right sized bulbs you need and you can reuse your ballasts

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

also for clarification... "K temperature" does not imply how bright a bulb is. It describes the color a bulb emits. brightness is measured in lumens, and it just so happens that 4200K-4300K bulbs emit the most lumens. As you get further from that K reading your lumen output drastically falls, which is why you see most people go with 5K bulbs because they get the blue/white look ppl like without sacrificing much lumen output (im one of those ppl as well)

kcg795 speaks truth so listen to him as well... though I disagree with the HIDs in fogs statement only for this reason. when I run my parking lights (aka halos in my retros) I love being able to light up a good chunk of road in front of me at the same time.. so 5K HIDs in fogs fit the bill perfect and the color matches the halos well..

example

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I had 8k then got 10k cuz I was looking for the blue color but even at 10k they are still very bright, so your saying that all I need is to buy the bulbs again to a different size? What size would that be, and how much u think that will cost? Also the stock bulb socket.. Will that lock into the aftermarket casing?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
you'll need H1's i think. 9007 won't work.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i have purple HIDs and I regret because I don't see anything but it's still better than stock lights. I will change them soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I saw a car coming up behind me a few weeks ago. Very "bright" purple lights. Couldn't miss them! When the car passed, I could see that even though the lights were bright, the light output wasn't thrown to far ahead of the car. It was just a brightness in front of the car. With 6000k that I have used, they are bright, white with a bluish tint and they really displayed the road in front of me and at a distance. As you move into the higher kelvin ratings, your light output will appear more bluish-purple in hue, but the bulbs wont be physically as bright.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Actually the bulb is just as bright, it's your eyes that can't see purple very well. You need 4 to 5 times the intensity of purple to see it as well as yellow. But if you were a bird or a bug you'd be all set.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That's the problem with HID kits in a halogen reflector housing. You "aim them down" to cut dowm the glare and you end up with a shit-glob of light directly in front and you can't see far at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.