Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just saw this and wondering what to think about that, any insight anybody?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Definitely makes me rethink the ballasts I currently have... We'll have to wait for the more experienced members to drop their 2 cents on this one.

·
Registered
402 Posts
^^ Same here. I bought mine off someone so I have no clue what they are. Hah

·
Registered
302 Posts
AC ballasts are what ddmtuning uses, they are awsome, made out of a nice sturdy metal, with a separate ignition so they dont make noise on startup. and they run at 13.5V instead of 13.2 like DC ballasts.

I currently have DC 55w ballasts in my minis and havent had an issue in 2 years, I think the OP picture is a little exaggerated.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its actually not my picture, I'm actually questioning it here, I found it on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
AC ballast are a little easier on the HID bulbs but not sure why they say an A/C ballast will last longer than a DC ballast. I think it all depends on the quality of components because a DC ballast doesn't heat up anymore than an A/C and has no reason to fail other than if it's cheaply manufactured.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AC ballast are a little easier on the HID bulbs but not sure why they say an A/C ballast will last longer than a DC ballast. I think it all depends on the quality of components because a DC ballast doesn't heat up anymore than an A/C and has no reason to fail other than if it's cheaply manufactured.

Maybe just to sell their product.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's not at all uncommon for a company to highlight minor differences and then fabricate additional supporting information so as to make a point. Capitalism, bruh. Disgusting. It's why I got out of Marketing. But enough politics. If those pictures are accurate, I'd take my DC ballast over the AC ballast any day. The open design of the AC ballast doesn't look very dependable, unless they just took the housing off to show off the components.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not at all uncommon for a company to highlight minor differences and then fabricate additional supporting information so as to make a point. Capitalism, bruh. Disgusting. It's why I got out of Marketing. But enough politics. If those pictures are accurate, I'd take my DC ballast over the AC ballast any day. The open design of the AC ballast doesn't look very dependable, unless they just took the housing off to show off the components.
I would imagine so, it would be very dumb to mount that as it is pictured above, it would certainly cause a short.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.