Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on having HIDs installed on my car soon, and I'm not installing them myself. Not taking the chance of screwing something up,and I want a professional to install them for me. I was wondering where I would have to go to have these installed. A body shop?

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Seriously just get a set from buyhids.com. They are plug and play, no wiring involved, just straight plug and play

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ya, you're better off just doing it yourself! There's NO WAY you can screw it up, even if you plug stuff in backwards! It just won't work and you flip it around! When you install them ,make sure to pull the DRL fuse out tho, that way it gets rid of those "pesky" auto headlights!! lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do a retrofit :D

or get a plug and play as everyone else said

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, you're better off just doing it yourself! There's NO WAY you can screw it up, even if you plug stuff in backwards! It just won't work and you flip it around! When you install them ,make sure to pull the DRL fuse out tho, that way it gets rid of those "pesky" auto headlights!! lol
Well, don't you have to take the headlights out to install them? I know it's not that difficult, but I know it's just not plug and play. By the way...I did remove the DRL fuse yesterday,and the stupid auto lights still stayed on. I even used the manual,and everything. I'm thinking it had something to do with the lighting outside. I will try to do it myself now though,but if something goes wrong, I'm coming after you.haha.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Or you could ask Mommy to help lol

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
DDM Tuning or BuyHID kits are good. Just get one of those. Simple to install.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, don't you have to take the headlights out to install them? I know it's not that difficult, but I know it's just not plug and play. By the way...I did remove the DRL fuse yesterday,and the stupid auto lights still stayed on. I even used the manual,and everything. I'm thinking it had something to do with the lighting outside. I will try to do it myself now though,but if something goes wrong, I'm coming after you.haha.
Yeah if you're in a dark enough area or it might just depend on the lighting (i.e. gloomy day) but they shouldn't be on nice clear days

·
Registered
350 Posts
The BuyHIDs might perform the best out of all Bi-Xenon PnP kits, but they're still going to cause discomfort to oncoming drivers. If you decide on the DDM Tuning HID kits, you'll find their Bi-Xenon bulbs to be very disappointing. When their bulbs are in "high beam" position, you only get high beams on the sides. There is NO light down the middle. If you want to do HIDs the RIGHT way, then do a retrofit. Because installing projectors in the stock headlights looks badass and will give you the best light without the middle finger from oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you want to do HIDs the RIGHT way, then do a retrofit. Because installing projectors in the stock headlights looks badass and will give you the best light without the middle finger from oncoming drivers.
i never knew stock headlight bulbs can fit in retrofits. (if thats what you are saying.) always wanted retros

·
Registered
350 Posts
i never knew stock headlight bulbs can fit in retrofits. (if thats what you are saying.) always wanted retros
No, the stock bulbs don't fit in the retrofits. The retrofits will take either an H1 HID PnP bulb (if it's the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors) or an OEM D2S HID bulb (if the projector is an FX-R, TL-R, Mini D2S, or some other OEM Replica projector). When you retrofit, you end up using different bulbs. Also, the projectors do the Bi-Xenon function and not the bulbs. A shield inside flips down and exposes the light above the cut-off for your high beam.

·
Registered
98 Posts
No, the stock bulbs don't fit in the retrofits. The retrofits will take either an H1 HID PnP bulb (if it's the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors) or an OEM D2S HID bulb (if the projector is an FX-R, TL-R, Mini D2S, or some other OEM Replica projector). When you retrofit, you end up using different bulbs. Also, the projectors do the Bi-Xenon function and not the bulbs. A shield inside flips down and exposes the light above the cut-off for your high beam.
ah i see. i understand now. thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Check out the HID Planet forums and also check out their "The Retrofit Source" site at their HID components. Their Morimoto ballasts are a bit more expensive, but are solid as a rock. I never had any flickering or any other problems with mine. Anyway, there's tons of info on HID Planet. There's also lots of video on YouTube on how the retrofit process goes also.

·
Registered
90 Posts
^^The Retrofit Source ftw... if you call them up they'll tell you exactly what you need. It is more expensive then the PnP HID kits, but it's so much better... I did mine using Morimoto MH1 and Apollo Shrouds, and it looks sick. I'd highly recommend retrofitting

·
Registered
60 Posts
Or you could ask Mommy to help lol
Classic

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

The BuyHIDs might perform the best out of all Bi-Xenon PnP kits, but they're still going to cause discomfort to oncoming drivers. If you decide on the DDM Tuning HID kits, you'll find their Bi-Xenon bulbs to be very disappointing. When their bulbs are in "high beam" position, you only get high beams on the sides. There is NO light down the middle. If you want to do HIDs the RIGHT way, then do a retrofit. Because installing projectors in the stock headlights looks badass and will give you the best light without the middle finger from oncoming drivers.
Projectors? That's the second time I saw that word used with hid. Can I ask u, I'm doing a similar install on mine, can u recommend a kit for me that comes with the projectors and will work with the stock headlight housing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Projectors? That's the second time I saw that word used with hid. Can I ask u, I'm doing a similar install on mine, can u recommend a kit for me that comes with the projectors and will work with the stock headlight housing.
for projectors you ether have to get projector housings or retros

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
All you have to do is remove the wheel well part way and a couple bolts on the bumper to install. Takes me about 15 minutes a side to take apart and get back together. There are plenty of How to's on this and other sites. If you cant install the lights yourself I would avoid doing any other mods too!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.