Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 cobalt SS G85 2.0 172xxx
I have an electrical problem with my cobalt and don't want to keep replacing parts.
So my problem is that my highbeam headlights are always on. Car off key out etc. The high beam indicator light on the dash is not on and I can turn on my fog lamps . I can flip the headlight switch and the fog lamps go off and the high beam indicator light will come on. I have already replaced the fuse box in hopes of it fixing my problem but it didn't (who knows if the one I got worked before) I checked for continuity between the highbeam and the other wires in the headlight harness for a short and got nothing. I currently just have the fuses out to stop it from completing the circuit. The only other electrical problem I see (I will have to confirm this) is that after I shut the car off my speed and rpm gauges go below 0 and then go back to 0. I was led to the BCM and have already tried taking the connector off and putting it back in hopes of cleaning the terminals and have had no luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you remove P1 from BCM and your high beams stay on, this means the tan/white wire from pin 44 is shorting to ground in the harness. Try unplugging it and tugging on it a bit here and there all the way to the fire wall. It has probably rubbed through the jacket on a sharp edge somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked for a short between the tan/white wire and ground. There was none. If I were to interrupt that wire (cut it) in theory my high beams won't be on right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So with the tan/ white wire disconnected my high beams are off. With it connected the high beams are on. Would it be correct to say my BCM has gone bad as far as the high beams?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Did you disconnect P1 from the BCM and the lights went off? If yes chances are the relay control driver has shorted out.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said, I disconnected the wire. (Cut it) and they went off. I already replaced my fuse box.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Relay driver is part of BCM.

Pin 44

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have cut that wire (44) and the lights go off. I checked for continuity between that wire and ground and got nothing so that means my wire isn't shorting out. I have disconnected p1 (C1) and reconnected it to clean the contacts with battery disconnected tso that I wouldn't damage anything. Since I have already replaced the fuse box(micro relay) and the headlight switch( wouldn't have been the problem since the high beam indicator light isn't on) and then checked for a short at the BCM and at the headlight with a multimeter, I am left with the BCM. What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Relay driver may have shorted out....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now do I need to get a BCM out of a 2006 cobalt ss 2.0 or when they re flash it, it will be fine? Also is this an unusual problem?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Pretty rare but it is electronics and well sometimes they go bad. I believe only the 06 will work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.