Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! I purchased my Cobalt SS SC about 2 weeks ago. I had to fix a few things so I had not got to drive it a whole lot. One thing that I have noticed is that it seems to idle high. It wants to idle around 900rpms when warm which I feel is high. Driving back and forth to work I've noticed that if you throw the car in neutral and coast to a stop, the idle will hang around 1800rpm until you almost come to a complete stop. You will be coasting up by the cars at the stop light and as you almost come to a complete stop, it will drop down to around 900rpm. I haven't hooked my scanner up to it to monitor TPS to see if the TPS sensor in the throttle body is screwed up or not. Any thoughts?

·
Say What again!
5,997 Posts
900 really isn't that high, I think mine idles right around there...but I haven't driven it since November, so I don't really remember. :laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the coasting idle? That part is pretty annoying. It sticks to around 1900 when coasting and it drives me insane.

·
Say What again!
5,997 Posts
1900 is high...is it that high when you just clutch-in and when you shift to neutral?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's like 1800/1900 somewhere in there. Does it if you push the clutch in or throw it in neutral. I do believe that is only if you are higher rpm than that when you shift. It seems to just hang there....Once you come down to 2-3 mph it drops and idles like normal.

·
Say What again!
5,997 Posts
Based on a quick search on "the other forum" (CSS.net), it sounds pretty common with the SS/SC to have a high idle when coasting, with no real explanation why.

Probably all the more reason to engine brake, haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.