Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...i read a few other posts on this...but i did the air box mod last yr....so today i decided to do a sai, while i had everything off i noticed the tb was dirty so i took it off and cleaned it...i just used a rag with nutting on it to clean it...pu everything together and now it idles at round 1500...it idled fine right before i started.i disconected the negitive on the bat while i did everything....i took back off the sai and put back the air box mod and still idles round 1500. i took the tb back off thinking i didnt have it back on right but still the same thing...i dont understand what i did ive cleaned tb's before and nuttin like this...or could i possiably got some dirt or grease in the maf?...any ideas????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no not yet...it was running fine this morn till i took the tb off to clean it and put th rest of a sai on

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

or could it be the gasket for the tb no sealin right...might have a leak where air is gettin in after the tb? is there a certian way to put them back on on these cars to make em seal? i did however unplugged the maf and the idle did go back to almost normal...it was choppy(well to be expected with the maf being unplugged) but its still not throughing any codes...it has to be the gasket not sealing or the maf...im lost...lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im really lost now...i changed the tb gasket, and its still idleing bout 1500-1700...but last nite i came to a stop and the idle went back to normal...round 800..ran fine untill i shut the car off and restarted, back to the high idle again...its still not giveing me a cel....any ideas?????

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

no not yet...it was running fine this morn till i took the tb off to clean it and put th rest of a sai on

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

or could it be the gasket for the tb no sealin right...might have a leak where air is gettin in after the tb? is there a certian way to put them back on on these cars to make em seal? i did however unplugged the maf and the idle did go back to almost normal...it was choppy(well to be expected with the maf being unplugged) but its still not throughing any codes...it has to be the gasket not sealing or the maf...im lost...lol
My car is doing the exact same thing i took the tb off to clean it and now it has a really high rpm rate, did you fix yours? and if so what did you do, my mechanic and i haved tried everything including scanning and taking it apart again and rebuilding it, all i can think of is replacing the gasket.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My 2 cents on this issue would be either:

1) The TB is not sealed right
2) You've accidentally disconnected a vacuum hose.

I had the same problem when I did some work on my spec V a few years back, it turned out to be a disconnected hose.

It should be similar to this case since it's all OBDII cars..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats what i thought too...but its strange..it had the high idle up till this eve...then it went back to normal for awhile, the back high, then normal...im still confused...ill mess with it this weekend...again

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would clean the throttle body with the appropriate cleaner, and stay away from using rags as they often leave unwanted debris in and around the TB. Raggin it off like you did may have left some caked up debris in there causing the TB plate to not seat properly, in turn allowing more air which equals higher RPMs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Could've stripped the gears in the throttle body when you cleaned it last. When cleaning don't force the throttle blade open.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yeah, I think you have a vacuum leak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.