Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
mods you guys can move this if you think it should go elsewhere.

but i work for slowboy racing which recently moved to sanford florida. they really only do imports such as toyota, mitsu, subaru, nissan etc... and only do stuff domestically for the srt 4's. im trying to convince my boss to get into the ecotecs and we might be able to use my car for r&d (make a naturally aspirated engine putting like 200-250 to the wheels)

so how much interest would there be out there for something like this? just looking for some feed back. plans either soon or down the road? and it doesnt have to be naturally aspirated. we can do turbo builds and even stuff for the ss/sc and ss/tc as well

what do you guys think? please only post if you would seriously consider... no day dreaming lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
mods you guys can move this if you think it should go elsewhere.

but i work for slowboy racing which recently moved to sanford florida. they really only do imports such as toyota, mitsu, subaru, nissan etc... and only do stuff domestically for the srt 4's. im trying to convince him to get into the ecotecs and we might be able to use my car for r&d (make a naturally aspirated engine putting like 200-250 to the wheels)

so how might interest would there be out there for something like this? just looking for some feed back. plans either soon or down the road? and it doesnt have to be naturally aspirated. we can do turbo builds and even stuff for the ss/sc and ss/tc as well

what do you guys think? please only post if you would seriously consider... no day dreaming lol
im currently working on a 2.2 na build...im sitting at almost 200 to the wheels right now...and next task is bottom end and more head work (head is shaved right now by .020") but im looking to bore out, port and valve job, larger valves, and possibly stroke the engine...

aparently we need to talk though :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
only if you do stuff for the 2.2 lap as well :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well if you want my honest opinion it won't be worth your employers investment in R&D. Most Cobalt owners are cheap asses and won't pay for good parts. The ability to run 200hp+ NA is already there but no one seems to want to put the research effort and money into doing it. I see it daily, I get probably a dozen emails with people asking me how to do things as cheaply as possible. That's ok in some cases but an NA build that's adding 50% or more hp to the car will never be cheap.

I can put you in touch with five or six vendors who will tell you what it's like building parts for Cobalts. You will get tons of people saying "oh yeah can't wait to buy that" and then when the time comes to fork out the money they disappear. I've even seen it myself with carbon fiber parts. For whatever reason few in the Cobalt world are willing to pay for quality parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
lol IMADreamer, thats why most of us own cobalts, i bought mine because i didnt want a focus and i needed a car to get me to and from work as cheap as possible... then i started modding now it gets 27 mpg instead of 37 :( but its faster lol

·
Registered
344 Posts
lol IMADreamer, thats why most of us own cobalts, i bought mine because i didnt want a focus and i needed a car to get me to and from work as cheap as possible... then i started modding now it gets 27 mpg instead of 37 :( but its faster lol
lol, mine got better :lol: im running almost 200whp n/a and am pushing 45 mpg on the freeway :lol:

and yes, most wont be forking out the cash for it, but a few like me are actually working on this :lol:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm definelty interested. If I could get that kind of HP normally aspirated that would be great, what all stuff did you have in mind
you could def see that kind of power out of a naturally aspirated engine. it comes down to who is willing to spend some money lol

cobalt tom... drop me a pm. id def like to chat about your build, what im trying to get started with our company, and if we could possibly provide any work for you lol :)

Ima, the R&D isnt a real problem. i shouldve been more clear. we really dont make to many of our own parts so he wouldnt have to dump money into that. we have a lot of connections with vendors such as ferrera, wiseco, manely, eagle, garret etc.... and ferrera and wiseco and eagle already make internals for our cars. plus my car would be the first one out the door if this went through so we would have everything running smoothly by then. well my car is getting done regardless lol. and i know the abilitly for the power i mentioned is already there and that people are cheap or bail when push comes to shove. thats why im trying to gauge the interest so i can try and convince or prove to my boss if there is a demand in the ecotec market.

we could do anything from the 2.2, 2.4, or the 2.0 s/c, t/c

either naturally aspirated or turbo builds, even conversions for the s/c guys if they wanted

we do just short blocks, or complete long blocks with heads on them

or just do head work by itself (valve jobs, porting or both)

and we could even carry lines of aftermarket parts that are already out as we have many vendors

our new site isnt completely up 100% yet and we mainly do imports but you guys can check it out at:

Slowboy Racing, Inc.

my name is Bryan and Im the main cylinder head porter at the shop.

if anyone would rather PM me then post here feel free

·
Registered
450 Posts
sounds good to me i'm eventually going to dump quite a bit of cash into my car i'm just waiting till i get set up after college maybe even sooner

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh i forgot. 09blackonblack, i dont see why we couldnt do anything for the LAP. the only thing i could see being a problem with the VVT would be cams. not sure if something could be done custom or not.

thats awesome boost it 20psi. thats why im trying to gauge some interst for this to onvine my boss. just an estimated time frame. would you be thinkin like months or a year or so?

anyone else interested or have any input for me?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
idk if someone else has already done it. or how feasible it is. but a full m62 conversion kit (minus or with tune) might be something to look into. i know its cheaper to part one together. but i think they might be a market for it. from people (like me:laugh:) that are to lazy to gather piece by piece. it will be next year before (if) i do it.
but i just thought it might be something for you guys to think about. or do more market research on.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I agree with the money issues, especially in todays society. However I do know that the 2.2 Eco is capable of 1200 horse, as I used to be a member of the Salt Lake Speed trial association and saw a pic and advertisement of a company that ran an Ecotec in a car out there. I think it actually holds a record in it's appropriate class. That was back in 2005 or 2006 though

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with the money issues, especially in todays society. However I do know that the 2.2 Eco is capable of 1200 horse, as I used to be a member of the Salt Lake Speed trial association and saw a pic and advertisement of a company that ran an Ecotec in a car out there. I think it actually holds a record in it's appropriate class. That was back in 2005 or 2006 though

some people have money issues and other people are just cheap. they talk and talk about it but dont act upon it. ive been gauging interest on all kinds of other forums with ecotec motors and gotten some good feedback and possibly some jobs lined up. giving prob atleast 2 tours of the shop this week. just comes down to who wants to seperate their balt from being just an economically friendly car

i know what these motors are capable of also. i just wish more people would do something about it. when they first came out everyone was crying about the aftermarket support well now there is a good bit of bolt ons, tuning, and internals but you dont see many people acting on it

·
Registered
450 Posts
i'm thinking about a year or so i'm gettin in with a local team and they all work at aftermarket shops so it may be sooner if i can get the support

·
Registered
450 Posts
most def

·
Registered
75 Posts
i'd deff be interested. i have a bunch of money saved up waiting for the warrenty on my car to end at the beggining of next summer, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.